Adults Can (and do) Watch Cartoons!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Cartoons are often looked down upon because they’re thought of as “only for children.” We watch adult shows with real people in order to see ourselves in the characters and get to know a group of people without exhausting yourself. Or maybe it’s just so that we can escape for a while.

But don’t we watch television for a plethora of reasons? Those reasons being anything from escapism to seeing real life reflected in scenes that may or may not fit any context we generally come across. Television is inherently suppose to be feel-good. Whether it’s horror that gets you hype, or a futuristic dystopia that makes you think, it’s suppose to be for personal enjoyment. And maybe even for feverish group discussion and deep analysis.

Liking cartoons isn’t exactly comparable to the way someone may might prefer comedies to political dramas, because within cartoons there are genres like that. And oftentimes it’s not as if some people may only like cartoons, but that they like them along other television shows. They’ve simply found enjoyment somewhere that not a lot of people tend to look (or to be fair, a lot of people do, but its still looked down upon in society, particularly if it isn’t an “adult” cartoon).

And it’s true that some cartoons are actually geared toward children, and so it would make sense if adults weren’t particularly interested in them. But if you take a look at the level of adult humor, life lessons, and profound thinking involved in not only the “adult cartoons,” but also the ones geared towards a younger audience, you may began to understand what the allure is all about. Of course there’s also always the love of cartoons we use to watch when we were younger that don’t necessarily lack these qualities, but the love for them is very deeply based in nostalgia for a simpler time and a connection to one’s childhood.

Now that I’m done with my spiel, let’s get into some of the cartoons your classmate’s at Rutgers University are watching. I’ll put in my two cents when I’m familiar with a show.

Code Geass

“My favorite series is Code Geass has always been my favorite show; a banished prince of Britainnia named Lelouch starts a rebellion against his home empire to avenge his mother’s death and protect his sister. This show is great if you love the mech genre (or not), and like shows about organization and rebellion.” -Joelle Carey, Freshman

I’m gonna be honest, I expected more people to comment about animes they liked. Maybe it was just the high school I went to. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Let me know if you disagree.

Steven Universe​

“Steven Universe follows a young boy named Steven and his friends, alien gems from another world. Though this seems like a children’s show, there are strong themes of tolerance and diplomacy that we really need in our society.” -Caitlyn Mary, Senior

Naruto

“Naruto is about a boy growing up in the ninja world without his parents and he’s completely shunned by his whole village because of the demon fox’s power implanted inside him by his late father. Watch his journey to Hogake as he gains power and friendship and also gains a few powerful enemies. I think everybody should watch naruto because it teaches you a lot about love and friendship. I didn’t have any friends growing up and I watched naruto because I could really relate. Him never losing his resolve and staying true to himself helped me develop into the person I am today.” -Samantha Cuffy, Sophomore

Bojack Horseman

This is Netflix original is an amazing show, but Rutgers University students put it best when they say:

“Bojack Horseman, a washed up celebrity from a 90s sitcom, tries to stay relevant and loved by media and the general public, but fails due to his pessimistic nature. The show goes through several relationships in Bojack’s life as the audience tries to piece together why Bojack gets no fulfillment from his current life. People should watch Bojack Horseman because it really the idea that money isn’t happiness, and a lot of adults forget that in this superficial world. Bojack can help us understand that having great connections and close relationships with other people can bring more happiness than anything tangible.” -Kristen Thomas, Freshman

“It’s just funny social commentary that is supposed to make you think.” -Zack Larmer, Freshman

“Bojack horseman is like the Simpsons. There are lots of deep meaning in that show. For example, whenever Bojack is in doubt about his career or future, he becomes a horrible person because he worries about not being successful too much. He’ll begins to do mean things and say mean words to his friends. I feel like sometimes I’m just like Bojack. Whenever I’m depressed and worried about the future, I screwed things up. I’ll even hurt the people around me. But in Bojack horseman, Bojack’s friends are always there for him no matter what. I again feel like I’m really similar to Bojack because no matter how horrible I am, my friends never give up on me. The show is basically talking about the meaning of life and the importance of friendship. It’s also about never give up. When I’m depressed, I’ll watch that show and it just teaches me some lessons of life.” -Amber Wang, Freshman

Gravity Falls

Another show I couldn’t get enough of. It had a great run, and while I’m sad it’s over I’m content with the fact that everything came together in the end. I’ll let Julie take it from here.

“A cartoon that I’ve watched well into adulthood is Gravity Falls. It’s about a pair of twins who live with their uncle in a weird town in Oregon over the summer and chase down mysteries. I enjoy it because it has a strong family theme, and the characters are just charmingly weird. It’s incredibly imaginative, funny, and even heartbreaking at time, with a plot more complex than most Hollywood movies.” -Julie Rossano, Freshman

Over the Garden Wall

“On Halloween day, two brothers find themselves lost in a mysterious forest and try to find their way home while bumping into other individuals and the infamous Beast. I believe people should watch this show because below the surface there is something truly meaningful laced into the plot. As you delve deeper in the episodes, you find out throughout the journey, the characters find something within themselves that they did not know they acquired before. In many ways, (spoilers aside) the Beast becomes a symbol for desperation and hopelessness that lurks through the never ending forest, otherwise addressed as the unknown for various reasons. In the end, the show touches on daily struggles exhibited by different individuals ranging from teens to adults. ” -Anande Kaaya, Freshman

^^^What she said, basically.

Rick and Morty

“Rick and Morty is about a boy and his grandfather go wacky adventures and come in contact with a variety of different characters. While on these adventures Rick builds new inventions such as an interdimensional portal gun.  It’s a show that many sci fi or geeky people will enjoy because the show is littered with references and easter eggs about star wars, star trek and a whole bunch of others!” -Manohar Tripathi, Freshman

Arthur

All I remember is D.W. was a savage.

“Arthur is the story of an aardvark that follows the story of the typical child. From bullies to annoying teachers and building relationships, Arthur tells us how to overcome the tiny obstacles of life through by showing us our problems in a new light. It is a journey filled with many laughs and moments of reflection for everyone.”-Nashia Basit, Freshman

Persepolis

This one’s based on a graphic novel (and is technically movie not a TV show). I’ve sung praises about it before, but lets see what Lior has to say.

“Persepolis is an animated autobiography about a young girl in Iran, growing up during the Islamic Revolution. This is a powerful film exposes some of the harsh realities girls around the world face through the lens of a child. The animation is beautiful and the narration adds a personal touch to the story; like real life, this has both comic and tragic moments.” -Lior Ben-Zvi, Freshman

Spongebob

A classic.

“Well Spongebob is about a sponge living in a pineapple under the sea at a place called bikini bottom. He works at a place called krusty krab for the fast food industry, and it is a very lean staff of just one fry cook and one cashier. Overall, people interested in learning more about the fast food industry and underwater fishes should watch this comedic cartoon.”-Tay Wee Siang, Sophomore

Hope you guys enjoyed this. If I missed any cartoon that you love then let me know in the comments below! Also, let me know if anyone who’s never watched cartoons as an adult decided to give one a shot after reading this.

Booktuber. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPXMfHl6SMxbTjt1Uzo3jfA Pursuing a double major in journalism and media studies and political science at Rutgers University.