5 Desserts to Try During Your ~Galentines Day~ Celebration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

You’ve got your girls, you’ve got your boxed wine, and you’ve got your Netflix. What more could you possibly need to help you get through the holiday that all single girls loathe: Valentine’s Day. In between scrolling through Instagram rolling your eyes at all of the tacky, lovey dovey posts, and chugging wine every time an ex posts with a way less hot girl (am I right?!?!), you might get sad. Or hungry. Or annoyed. All of which have the same solution: dessert. Here are some easy options for desserts you can make in your dorms or your apartments, all make from easy to find, cheap ingredients.

1) Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Photo Credit: Foodnessgracious.com

Super easy and essentially healthy (hello, fruit!), chocolate covered strawberries are one of the most popular Valentine’s Day desserts out there. Grab a pack of strawberries and a couple of Hershey bars, melt the chocolate in the microwave, dip, and voila! Before you let the chocolate harden, you can even add sprinkles if you want to be ~fancy~ for your own Insta post. Pro Tip: Soak your strawberries in a little vodka for about a half hour before you start the dipping process. Two birds, one stone!

2) Chocolate Pretzels

Photo Credit: Lovefromtheoven.com

Just as easy and just as delicious as the chocolate strawberries, this dessert is perfect for those of you who are still in dorms with no stove top or oven. Grab some pretzels (any shape will do), dip them in the melted chocolate, and you’re done! Same goes for sprinkles here- the more, the merrier!

3) Fruit Salad

Photo Credit: Raw Intentions 

For anyone who’s health savvy or workin’ on their beach bod, play it simple and go for a fruit salad. Make it Valentine’s Day theme by cutting your fruit into heart shapes with a cookie cutter! 

4) Pretzel, Hershey kiss, M&M Bites

Photo Credit: mylifeinajar.wordpress.com

These take a little more effort, but are sooo worth it. Salty and sweet, they’re all you need wrapped in one! For this, you’re supposed to use an oven, but for those of you that are fearless, a microwave or stove top may do the trick as well! Pick up a bag of pretzels, a bag of Hershey Kisses, and a bag on M&Ms. Lay the pretzels out on a tray, and put one Hershey Kiss on each one. Put that tray in the oven for a couple of minutes for the Hershey Kiss to soften, and then place an M&M on top of each one. Enjoy! 

5) Rice Krispies

Photo Credit: Melskitchencafe.com

An old time favorite and perfect for those living in an apartment or house with a stove top: all you need is marshmallows, butter, and Rice Krispies cereal. Melt the ‘mallows in a pan with butter until they combine into a soft, smooth spread, and then mix in the cereal. Once the mixture cools and hardens, they’re ready to go. 

Bonus: Feel free to dip them in melted chocolate- so worth it.

Milena Drozd is a passionate, optimistic, and conscientiousness person, majoring in Communication with a specialization in Public Relations. In her spare time, Milena can be found in the kitchen, either baking, cooking, or eating- sometimes even all of the above. Rest assured, there is usually a laptop or iPad playing "Criminal Minds" or "Law and Order: SVU" on Netflix within earshot.
Born and raised in Northern New Jersey, Faith attends Rutgers University in New Brunswick, where she plans to major in Psychology and minor in Philosophy and Criminology.  Faith enjoys writing and traveling. She loves cats, books, and the color blue. In the future, Faith would like to attend law school.