This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Every new year brings new emerging fall trends and, if you’re anything like me, you’ll rush to the closest mall or computer to add your new-found OOTD inspirations to your wardrobe. Of course your individual style is whatever you decide, but here are a few ideas for a solid foundation this fall! WARNING: college student budget and clothing costs apply!

1.  Riding Boots

Last fall we started to see riding boots appear here and there, but this year they’re back in full swing! No, these boots are not just for equestrians. They go great with almost any fall outfit! They can look especially nice with a good pair of skinny jeans or leggings. Riding boots are the perfect versatile shoe to either dress an outfit up or make it more casual. Investing in a nice pair of these could be one of the smartest things you do this fall!

2. A Light Sweater

This fall we’ve had the perfect weather for a light sweater! In most settings a light sweater can keep you at a comfortable temperature. The light sweater, like riding boots, is another article of clothing that is totally versatile. You can dress your sweater up with some cute jewelry and jeans or keep it casual with leggings and your favorite uggs. Being able to wear your sweater in different ways makes choosing an outfit that much easier!

3. Something Olive Green

Olive green seems to be taking over clothing stores all over this fall. Olive green looks great with the colors of fall and also looks good on pretty much everyone! Whether it is a sweater, a jacket, or jeans olive green is a great fall color to add to your closet.

4. Leggings

Does this need an explanation? I don’t think I’ve been able to walk down the street without spotting a pair of leggings. Of course, most times one of these pairs are on me. Leggings might be the most convenient article of clothing out there. Wear them with a cute long sweater or tunic and some jewelry for an adorable yet comfortable outfit! However, please make sure you check the mirror before you leave, sometimes they might be a little more see-through than you think!

5. The Perfect Cozy Crew-Neck

Crew-necks sweatshirts are a great item to keep you comfortable throughout your day. There is nothing better than feeling like you’re wrapped in a blanket all day. For best results, go up a size and pair with some leggings, uggs or combat boots, and a semi-messy hair style. This will give you the perfect cozy but cute look!

Born and raised in Northern New Jersey, Faith attends Rutgers University in New Brunswick, where she plans to major in Psychology and minor in Philosophy and Criminology.  Faith enjoys writing and traveling. She loves cats, books, and the color blue. In the future, Faith would like to attend law school.