World Mental Health Day at the Rowan Rec Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

As many of you may know, October is not only Breast Cancer Awareness Month, but October 4th-10th was also Mental Illness Awareness Week. Today, October 10, 2015, is actually World Mental Health day!

Mental health is a hard truth that is only just recently beginning to dawn on people. If you read the article last week, you would have seen that many people on Rowan’s campus battle mental illnesses everyday.

And just like any other illness, mental illnesses are unique to the individual and can be very dangerous if not treated properly.

Rowan University has taken many steps towards combating mental illness. Students can sign up for free counseling sessions at the wellness center, attend Lets Talk sessions throughout the week in various locations or a Chill and Chat event, and there is always a counselor on call at (856) 256 4922,

The Rowan Rec Center has taken several steps in working towards overall better mental health as well. One of the Let’s Talk sessions each week takes place at the Rec Center (Mondays, 1pm-2:30 in the Main Office) and this past week, the Rec hosted a World Mental Health Day in partnership with Healthy Campus Initiatives. Students had the option to attend Art Therapy in the main lobby, led by Allie Pearce from Healthy Campus Initiatives, receive a free Depression Screening from Amanda, a counselor from the wellness center, take an Indoor Cycling class led by Katie Huber, the Director of Fitness at the Rec Center, or take a free yoga class led by April Tamburo, the much loved yoga instructor at the Rec Center.  

According to the National College Health Assessment, fifty percent of college students have said that they’ve felt depressed to a point where functioning on a day to day basis was difficult for them. Giving students the opportunity to heal mentally will allow them to engage in more positive interactions, which will not only give them a better boost in their day to day lives, but also help them achieve higher goals. There are many ways to relieve stress, and what works for one person many not necessarily work for another. Exercise and Art Therapy are two very effective ways to relax and release stress from your body.

When Allie Pearce and the rest of the Healthy Campus initiatives set up Art Therapy in the main lobby at the Rec, their goal was to allow students and Rec employees to take a small break and “chillout,” because it’s okay to need a break, especially for students who spend so much of their time engaging in school work, jobs, extracurricular activities, and just anything that will add to their resumes. With so much on their plates, and stress coming from every other aspect in their lives as well (i.e. family, friends, relationships, etc.) it is natural for students to feel overwhelmed and develop issues they’re not comfortable dealing with on their own. Allie encourages students to attend Chill and Chat sessions, Fridays at 11am in the Wellness Center, describing them as “low key” hangouts where people can just go and meet new people in a stable environment, where the judgement is nonexistent and where people are not shy to talk about serious topics, for example; “suicide is a serious topic. Let’s talk about it!” She describes the Let’s Talk sessions in a similar way. Students can attend a twenty minute session with a counselor in various spots around campus, to avoid the negative feelings they – or others – may associate with the wellness center.

External factors often contribute to depression, anxiety, panic disorder, and all other mental issues. It goes to show that the age old saying “sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me” really isn’t accurate anymore. People are more ready to accept help for the bruises sticks and stones may cause, but are more nervous to accept help for the wounds words cause.  Instead, they hear things like “snap out of it” (Amanda) from people they love, and feel like their feelings are being invalidated.

But, often times people develop mental illnesses simply because of the chemistry in their brain. According to Amanda from the Wellness center, mental illnesses are not treated the same way as physical illnesses. She said “if someone walked around for a year with a broken leg, people wouldn’t just tell that person to ‘get up, and get moving, it’ll heal itself,’ no, they would encourage that person to seek medical help. Why isn’t it the same for mental health?”

Perhaps people are nervous to bring attention to themselves and their mental struggles because of the negative connotations associated with mental illness. Truth is, mental illness is something most people today deal with, and we need to start working to make it a less taboo topic so that people stop feeling so alone and helpless. Amanda also says that “destigmatizing is one of the most important [steps]” needed to help battle depression.  Mental health, is a huge portion of overall wellness. It’s not just about the body.

But, some people may need to move and exercise to help their mental health. Katie Huber, the fitness director at the Rec Center, describes exercise as a major stress reliever, because it “get’s you moving, it gives you a break from every day stress, and when done with friends, it can act as a social gathering which also helps create bonds and allows for encouragement – both crucial parts of mental health.” Working out is a beak from responsibilities, it allows you to “take care of yourself, so that you can handle other people’s problems with ease.” Just think about that; everyone is always trying to help other people. But how will you help others if you’re not in the best place to do so?

But Katie warns that everything is done best in moderation. Excessive exercise can be dangerous. If your daily workout is a source for your stress, then maybe it’s time to reevaluate. JoAnna Baird, the graduate coordinator at the Rec Center, finds running to be a stress reliever, but this does not work for everyone. It is very important to find what works for you, and what brings value to your life. Don’t do the workout to be the same as everyone else, do it to the extent that helps you.

Part of the satisfaction that exercising brings is achieving new goals, which also adds to mental health because it brings on feelings of success and accomplishment.  Katie says “there’s value in a push up because you’re strong, there’s value in setting a goal and achieving it – success.” So, even if you’re not the best runner or can’t deadlift to save your life, start small. Set goals – no matter how small they are, as long as they are in line with your personal abilities. Make these goals, work hard, and when you achieve them – no matter how long it takes you – you will feel better, physically and mentally.

But, hard core exercise is not for everyone, which is why yoga is such a healthy alternative. April Tamburo is a very talented yoga instructor, whose Monday 5:15pm class is almost always full to the brim. April finds yoga relaxing because it helps her understand why she is stressed, rather than directly relieve her stress. “It’s all about intention,” she says, “checking in with myself and finding that I’ve stored stress in my muscles” is a major part in relaxing. This makes complete sense – how are you supposed to fix a problem if you don’t know where it is?

April finished off by saying “So many people say they can’t do yoga because they’re not flexible. But it’s not about that. It’s about how you are now, you’re ready! It’s not about self improvement, it’s about self-acceptance.”  When doing yoga, she is never hard on herself, because it’s “about the here and now.” This is a great way to relieve stress, because many people compare themselves to where they used to be, or where they want to be. But they shouldn’t do that – every day is different, with different circumstances affecting your mood, energy, and ability.

Morgan McCann, another Her Campus reporter and a Healthy Campus initiator, attended April’s free outdoor yoga class and says “I really enjoyed it. I made me feel at one with nature and like I was getting energy from the sun beating down. April did a great job, as always and definitely directly related it to mental health by reading a poem, saying mantras, as well as letting us know that we can let go of any negative feelings.”

Yoga instructor April teaches outdoor yoga and relaxation techniques for world mental health day.

Whatever works best for you, whether it’s arts and crafts, talking to someone, running miles, or doing some yoga, please know that you are not alone. Mental illness is a growing issue and little by little it is becoming less taboo. Together, we can make it socially acceptable!

Photos Credit: Chelsea Skinner, Graduate Coordinator of Membership and Marketing at the Rec Center.

For additional resources, be sure to check out the following:

Let’s Talk:

Mondays 1pm – 2:30pmRec Center – (Main Office)Tuesdays 12pm – 1:30pmStudent Center – Room 117A (Main Level)Wednesdays 11am – 12:30pmRobinson Hall – Room 118 (SJICR)Thursdays 4pm – 5:30pmSavitz Hall – Suite 304 (Academic Success Center)Fridays 2pm – 3:30pmRowan Hall – Room 111 (Administrative Suite)

Chill n ChatFridays 11amWellness Center

Yoga at the Rec (GE Pass required, inquire at the front desk)Mondays 5:15-6:15Rec GE RoomTuesdays 9:30am-10:30amRec GE RoomWednesdays 12:15-1:00pmRec GE Room

On Call Counselor (Nonemergency Public Safety):(856) 256 4922

Emergency Public Safety:(856) 256 4911

Rowan University Wellness Center(856) 256 4333

http://www.rowan.edu/studentaffairs/counseling/

I've never really been good at writing biographies, so here is a quick list of facts about me instead! My favorite Disney movie is The Little Mermaid I rode my bike into a pole when I was eight York Peppermint Patties are my favorite chocolate Walking in the rain is my favorite thing to do (when it's raining, of course) Snakes absolutely terrify the crap out of me. Have a happy day! P.S Live to love, love to live!