Why it’s Okay to Ask for Help

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Asking for help. A thing that many people view as a sign of weakness. A thing that many are embarrassed to do. I can’t help but completely disagree with this, especially because asking for help is something I did.

The past few months of my life have been filled with worry, panic, and fear. At first, I admit, I did try to deal with it myself and not talk to my parents or anyone about the issues I was having, because I thought that I could handle this myself. But I was wrong — I was very wrong.

It was in June that I realized I could not live this way, because it was self-destructive behavior that was destroying the happy person I once was. I became very depressed and unhappy with what was happening to me, which is when I decided that I needed help because I could not continue living in the mental state I was in. When I had first went to therapy I was reluctant to talk because I felt stupid and embarrassed that I could not handle this on my own. However, the more I went, I realized how serious the issues I was dealing with were.

Hearing I had Panic Disorder and Anxiety was a major wake up call for me, and it was at that moment that the embarrassment vanished. I realized that I needed to get help to fix these problems, and that talking to a therapist was not bad at all because it would help me get healthier. As I became more open to talking, I felt a sense of relief. Now four months after dealing with these problems, I can say I am almost as mentally happy and healthy as I was before these issues arose. I am so content with my decision to ask for help, because I got my old self back.

Please do not feel stupid for asking for help; if you do not try to help yourself, you will end up destroying yourself. Please remember, do not let anyone make you feel ashamed for asking for help. Get the help you need to get to a better mental health state.

Remember, do what you need to do to live a happy and healthy life.  

Hello! I am a freshman at Rowan University studying Elementary Ed and English. I hope you enjoy my writing!
I am a Writing Arts major at Rowan University. Poetry is my best friend. One day, I hope to be a successful writer for a popular magazine in NYC. My dream is to travel to Paris, London, and Rome to explore and write about my experiences there.