The Ultimate Find: Good “Mom” Jeans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

As someone who frequents Goodwill, you don’t get as excited about finds because at a certain point they become commonplace. However, there are several finds that always get me really hyped up to wear. These include good sweaters and shoes, but directly above those finds are a good pair of “mom” jeans.

I don’t know when this fad came back, and I’m sorry to any moms who find this term offensive. What these jeans really are, are high cut or high waisted jeans with a fitted waist and butt, but less fitted elsewhere. The wash is usually vintaged because most of these jeans are. This style of denim was popular in the 80s and 90s, but kind of dropped off when low rise denim came back in style.

These jeans are my favorite fit by far mostly for their comfort. I’m a huge fan of cropped tops, and loose high waisted denim makes styling a casual cropped top easy and comfy.

My best recommendation when looking for a pair at a thrift store: Try. Them. On.

If you see a pair that looks like it might fit your waist, give them a go and see how they look. The fit can surprise you.

Also, don’t pay attention to sizing, just eyeball them. The sizing for these jeans are different than the sizing we think of now. They tend to run small – very small.

Lastly, check for stains. I have in the past purchased “mom” jeans without noticing nail polish stains, bleach discoloration, etc. For the most part these have been very minor and the jeans are still wearable (thankfully).

Happy thrifting!

Junior Writing Arts major. Concentrations in Creative Writing and New Media and Publishing. Blogger, vegetarian, plant mom, tea enthusiast. https://nickelanddimepiece.wordpress.com/