The Truth about Plan B

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

First (and most importantly) Plan B is not an abortion pill. It will not stop pregnancy if you are already pregnant. Secondly, Plan B must be taken as soon as possible within 72 hours (3 days) as sperm can live inside the female reproductive system for up to 6 days. You may want to take Plan B if your routine birth control failed, a condom broke or you had unprotected sex. Plan B is not as effective as routine birth control, and should only be taken in cases of an emergency.

Side effects that may come with taking Plan-B are as followed:

Menstrual changes

Nausea

Lower stomach (abdominal) pain

Tiredness

Headache

Dizziness

Breast pain

Vomiting

If your period is more than a week late, take a pregnancy test.

Consider visiting a healthcare professional or your primary care physician if you are curious or sexually active. Although Plan-B is available over-the-counter speaking with your doctor so you are aware of the risks is always important.

Knowing about Plan-B is very important. The side effects can harm you and if you are already pregnant this drug can harm the fetus. Before taking Plan-B consider all the options at your disposal. 

Remember, accidents do happen and your doctor can always assist you in these situations. Also, the on-campus health center is fully equipped with pregnancy tests, condoms and information when needed. 

Jaymilynn, also known as Jaymi, is a 4th year Senior at Rowan University. She is currently studying for her Bachelors in Public Relations, and is pursuing a minor in Advertising and Journalism. She is also pursuing a concentration in Creative Writing. Jaymi hails from the small Mom-And-Pop town of Galloway, New Jersey. She is a member of Rowan's PRSSA. Jaymi is also a staff writer for the on-campus school newspaper, The Whit. With big dreams of being a novelist someday, Jaymi spends a majority of her time reading books and working on writing a book series of her own. To friends she is known to be a bit cynical, but loveable as well. A Mac'N Cheese fanatic, faithful Yoga attendee, and an extreme chocolate lover! She's a wide-eyed girl ready to take on the world one sarcastic comment at a time!