Things to do in Philadelphia over Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

(Photo found on www.VisitPhilly.com)

I have to say, discovering the city is one of a lot of things that will pull me out of my funk, getting me to live a little. Now that Spring Break is coming up again, I’m looking to live again, to visit Philly. And since many Rowan students have access to or live close to Philly, I thought I’d share a few of my favorite spots.

Some you may know, some you probably don’t, and others are near impossible to find unless you know what you’re looking for! And although I’m still training myself how to be a master tour guide, I’ll use my wits and wiles to show you some of the most interesting places in Philly.

Philadelphia Museum of Art

If I have a friend visiting out of state (or out of country!) and he’s only here for a day, this is usually where I take him. This place is easily the biggest museum in Philly, so much so that unless you plan to arrive in the morning and not leave till late at night…well…you’re not going to get a chance to see everything, even if you rush. There really is something for everyone here, from action oriented (and huge portraits!) of American art to walk-through recreations of European holy places and mansions.

My personal favorite place to go is far back in the Asian section where there is the interior of an ancient Chinese house, the outsides of serene Japanese teahouses, and a temple with a Buddhist idol at the front and (you gotta look up!) a dragon mounted on the ceiling. In my darkest moments, I go to the city; and these things totally calm me down.

There really is something for everyone at the Philadelphia art museum; but if you have a friend that REFUSES to have anything to do with art, the outside and gardens behind are nice to visit, not to mention that walking on the Benjamin Parkway is a blast and a good workout.

But when in doubt, you can always come down for Rocky. It is easily one of the most recognizable features of Philadelphia and is a bit cooler to take a picture with than, say, the Liberty Bell or the Love Park sign.

Mütter Museum

The Mutter Museum is fairly unknown compared to other museums on and around the Ben Franklin Parkway. This is a repository of medical peculiarities…skeletons of the deformed, bizarre items removed from people’s bodies, and so much more weird and bizarre things that it’ll give you and your friends plenty to talk over afterwards (even if one or all of you is a bit faint of heart…Hint: don’t bring young children!) 

City Hall

In daylight, you’ll often hear a violinist or a trumpet player taking advantage of the acoustics in the long, cavernous tunnel that connects one area of the city to another. The statues in the interior aren’t bad either! For someone who usually goes around the city on foot rather than subway, I enjoy finding this place in my line of sight (because many of the major streets have the City Hall in visibility) and using it to find my bearings. Even if you don’t mean to go to City Hall, you’ll probably see it; and I do recommend you to go into the tunnel, pick a section of the city, and go straight!

Pietro’s Pizza

Hungry after going around Philly yet don’t want to spend tens of dollars dining in Rittenhouse Square? Well here’s a very good alternative. While there are a lot of fancy and exquisite restaurants in Philly, nothing really beats a combination of something exceptional yet familiar (and not terribly expensive either.) Yes it’s pizza and yes we’ve heard the “brick oven” thing before near our local malls, but what sets Pietro’s apart is that it’s toppings actually taste like vegetables, meat, mushrooms…whatever you want to put on there. I remember my surprise when I went there for the first time and the pepperoni, rather than flat, was thick and curved upward like a shallow saucer.

Rosenbach Museum and Library 

Okay, so it’s not a PROPER library (you can’t check out or even read the books unless you’re doing research), but for English lovers like myself, this really is the place to go.  It is rather small compared to other Museums, thus why I’d recommended not going to Philly just to go here. But it is a place I like going back to! This is a collection of antique books as well as furniture in a historic house.

You need a tour to fully get the experience of this Museum. The tour guide will name drop all sorts of authors and historical facts. This is the best way to go back in time and experience book and literary history in Philly. It really is something small and out of the way (and a little tricky to find.) But even if one of your group members likes books, this is a cute place to check out. 

National Museum of Jewish History

I remember walking past this place when it was going up a few years ago. It’s very new and, dare I say, hip. Although Judaism is the central theme, there is another more general aspect of the museum that’s more universal, specifically the immigrant experience. From the top where you start to the bottom where you have tea, this Museum tracks the Jewish population from its integration into the first settlements on the east coast to their spread and acceptance throughout the USA. If you’re Italian, Irish, or of any other immigrant class that used to (or currently is) an oppressed minority, there’s a lot to learn here about tolerance, culture, and ultimate acceptance into the fabric of American life. And did I mention that it’s modern? The whole place has a sleek feel (see the shiny glass in the picture) and uses interactive screens to show elements of history through pictures and sound.

Franklin Fountain

And finally, to top it all off, ice cream! Remember when I said this list is mostly good on your wallet? This is the only exception, and it’s well worth it. This place aims to recreate the feelings of gourmet ice cream, floats, and sodas for the recent past, complete with 20th century uniforms and a rustic air you’d find at the last turn of the century. Coupled with the fact that it’s different and they make their own ice cream nearby, this place is VERY popular when it’s warm, and you’ll likely be waiting in line, all for good purpose.

Is there more to see in Philly? Yup! But these are the places that I’d recommend the most for someone who’s going to Philly just for one trip of a day or three rather than anything extensive.

Hello everyone. My name is Robert Finch. Aside for being an undergraduate student at Rowan University with a writingarts/Early Childhood Education dual major I am also a writer of fiction and comic books. I have three published short stories including in Inwood Indiana and Scars. I also have done work for yet to be published comic books and work in my freetime not only as a freelance editor, but as a writer of webcomics such as my own Amerimanga Bunny Storm (http://bunnystorm.smackjeeves.com/comics/2148795/ch-1-summary/) and Alan Smoke (http://alansmoke.smackjeeves.com/comics/2178808/alan-brook-smoke/) A little about myself...since I was a teen I've always been very interested in Gender Equality and Feminism. I feel those interests, as well as close friendships with women throughout my life, will inform my role as a contributor to Hercampus while still distinguishing myself as a Male contributor with a lot to offer from the other side of the gender-divide. I look forward to being apart of this great undertaking.
I am a Writing Arts major at Rowan University. Poetry is my best friend. One day, I hope to be a successful writer for a popular magazine in NYC. My dream is to travel to Paris, London, and Rome to explore and write about my experiences there.