This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

De’Ja Whyles

How do you feel about Valentine’s Day?

Well I’m in a relationship so for me, I expect my boyfriend to get me things. I don’t know, it’s a regular day but I feel like I should at least get some flowers or something, or a date or something. But you know, it depends. Does Valentine’s Day fall during the week or during the weekend?

It’s Thursday this year.

Oh so then it’s just a regular day, I should just get a phone call saying I love you then I should go out with him on the weekend.

Does your boyfriend go to Rowan?

No, he goes to Stockton.

Do you think you’ll see him the weekend of Valentine’s Day?

I better.

Do you think you would have a different opinion of Valentine’s Day if you were single?

Yes, I would be like, “so what, I’m single.” I would probably take my mom out to dinner.

Shayla Brown

How do you feel about Valentine’s Day?

I think Valentine’s Day is really beautiful holiday. I don’t have a Valentines so; I’m looking for one.

Do you think if you were in a relationship, you would celebrate Valentine’s Day?

No, cause I didn’t celebrate it last year.

D’Andre Miller

How do you feel about Valentine’s Day?

I think it’s a good way for couples to interact, like show their love, even though they should everyday. But it’s got much more meaning to it.

Are you in a relationship for Valentine’s Day this year?

Yes

Do they go to Rowan?

Yes, she goes to Rowan.

That’s good, do you know if you’ll be doing anything for Valentine’s Day and what sort of things you would be doing around Rowan?

I haven’t exactly planned it out yet but I’m sure I’ll come up with something good. I’ll take her out to dinner or something

Ross Gordon

How do you feel about Valentine’s Day?

Valentine’s day to me is the attempt of humans to become more willing when it comes to love and feelings. We are normally a very fast paced and uncaring society so having a day where everyone can take time out to show affection to the ones they care about is beneficial to all involved. It is also a large stimulus to the economy as people spend money on others they normally would not. On the other hand without someone to care for on this day it can cause serious psychological harm and very deep depression. Love it or hate it Valentines Day is here to stay.

Are you in a relationship?

I’m currently casually dating someone.

Do you think if it was a more serious relationship that your attitude towards Valentine’s Day would change?

I don’t think my attitude would change because there are always people I care about in life, because valentines day goes beyond just your significant other, it extends to family and friends as well.

Michael Fotos

How do you feel about Valentine’s Day?

I don’t acknowledge Valentine’s Day very much. I’ve never celebrated it before, mainly because I’ve never been in a relationship at the time. Many people take the holiday very seriously. I do not. Instead, I simply take the time to love my family members, especially my mother.

So do you think if you were in a relationship, your attitude change toward Valentine’s Day?

I do believe it would. I may actually celebrate it. However, it won’t be a big deal. Perhaps I’d buy cheap chocolates, but probably won’t go far enough to buy bouquets of roses.

Karlin Emmy Heulitt

How do you feel about Valentine’s Day?

I enjoy spending it with friends and giving out cheesy cards, but I don’t care much for the romantic aspect of it.

Are you in a relationship?

Nope

If you were, would your attitude change toward Valentine’s Day?

If I was in a relationship I don’t think my attitude would change, I still think I would spend it eating candy and being cheesy with friends. If a guy wanted to take me out or buy me flowers it would be better do it unexpectedly and catch me off guard.

Zachary Troendle

How do you feel about Valentine’s Day?

Valen-f***ing-tines day. It’s fan-f***ing-tastic. Just another Saint’s day turned into some commercial bull*** where you’re obligated to spend MORE money on your significant other because the corporate fat cat says so. Wanna hear a poem? Roses are red, violets are blue, vodka is cheaper than dinner for two.

Are you in a relationship?

No.

If you were, do you think you would feel differently about Valentine’s Day?

Sure, that means TWO bottles of vodka now and maybe a pack of Trojans. (Small pack of course. Like anyone is getting laid more than twice on Valentine’s Day without spending $200. Kiss my a**)

Liz Ditzel

How do you feel about Valentine’s Day?

Valentine’s Day this year is a little weird, because I can’t see my girlfriend because she’s an hour and a half away and I’m here.

Are you going to be able to see her on the weekend before or after Valentine’s Day?

I’m seeing her this weekend to celebrate. I’m very excited.

What are you planning on doing to celebrate?

I’m not sure yet, but I got her a present and some chocolates and we’re going to a Devil’s game on Saturday, so I guess that’s kind of celebrating even if we are going with my family. I think we’ll go sledding together too.

Rachel Tevlin

How do you feel about Valentine’s Day?

I personally don’t pay much attention to Valentine’s Day. I do think it’s kind of cute for people who are in relationships but I’m not so I don’t care.

If you were, would you feel differently?

Probably not much, I personally think most of these types of holidays are moneymakers for corporations.

Ashleigh 21 years old and is a writing arts and journalism major at Rowan University. Ashleigh is also the Vice President for Rowan's Gay-Straight Alliance.
Julissa is currently a senior at Rowan University located in Glassboro were she is a proud sister of Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc. from the INVICIBLE theta chapter. She majors in journalism and has a double concentration in International studies and New Media. Julissa hails from Passaic, NJ, even though she is a New Yorker at heart. She strives to become an amazing bilingual writer. She can admit that she has an obsession with nail polish. Julissa in her spare time enjoys volunteering, reading, rock climbing, and movies. To many individuals she is known to be the three Fs: fun, funky and feisty.