Spotlight: Kayla Harrison

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

What inspired you to start writing for Her Campus?

I found out about Her Campus in one of my writing classes. It was at the time in my life when I started thinking that writing could be a potential career path for me. When I heard of the opportunity, I decided to go for it. When I first joined, I was nervous and didn’t think any of my ideas were good enough. At the end of the first meeting I just remember how encouraging Naveen and Sammi (our president and VP) were to me. Their smiling faces inspired me to come back, and they made me feel like my ideas were heard and valued.

You write a ton of awesome poetry! Where do you find your inspiration?

Oh gosh. I find inspiration from so many things. Most of the times I draw from past experiences. However, inspiration can come to me through a text message from my mom, an overheard conversation from a family in the booth next to me at a restaurant, current events going on in the world, or even from something my friend might be going through. If you keep your eyes open, inspiration is everywhere.

What are you main goals as a woman? As a writer?

My main goal as a woman and a writer is to help others find their voices. For so long, I felt as though I didn’t have a voice. I felt alone. I felt unwanted, unheard. I don’t want anyone to feel the same way I did.

What is your dream job?

If I had enough money, I would LOVE to travel the world and write. I would want all of my writings from that time to be published and to inspire people to get connected. So many times I feel as though I’m missing so much. I’m missing opportunities to meet and reach out to people across the world. I wish that I could meet them and share their stories with the world. They should be heard, too.

What do you like most about wing part of Her Campus Rowan?

My favorite part of Her Campus Rowan is being able to connect with people I normally wouldn’t get the chance to. The people in HC Rowan have become some of my best friends. We laugh together. We encourage each other. We offer advice in the toughest situations. I can’t imagine my life without them. They’ve truly changed the way I act as a person and a writer. I love being a part of HC Rowan, and I encourage other people to join if they have the chance. It’s one of the greatest experiences I’ve had in college so far.

I am a Writing Arts major at Rowan University. Poetry is my best friend. One day, I hope to be a successful writer for a popular magazine in NYC. My dream is to travel to Paris, London, and Rome to explore and write about my experiences there.
I am a full-time student at Rowan University majoring in both Early Childhood Education and Literary Studies, with a minor in Writing Arts. I absolutely love writing poetry and hope to get some of mine published one day. I LOVE to read, particularly YA fiction. On my free time I like to watch Netflix, or browse Barnes and Noble for my next read, with a caramel macchiato in hand.