Simple Skirt Hemming Hacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

As you may have noticed in my post last week I not only wore the cropped tee in my styled look, but also a high-low corduroy skirt. The skirt was also a Goodwill find, and this week I will provide some easy hemming hacks  to alter skirts from Goodwill with hand stitch and without much hassle.

Originally, the skirt was as long in the front as it is in the back, but one trend I’ve been admiring is asymmetrical hemlines on skirts and dresses.

One trend I’ve been admiring is asymmetrical hemlines on skirts and dresses.

I was originally attracted to the skirt because of the fabric, and after trying it on knew I would need to make some alterations (it fell at an awkward length above my knees) and so I figured I would give the high low trend a try, with some positive results I would say!

The Process

Before I started hemming, I had to figure out how high I wanted the front to be. The first step is trying the piece of clothing on. After I put the skirt on, I knew exactly what length it would look best at. Lucky for me, the skirt has a slight slit up the side, so all I had to do was sew the front seam under, folding it to the length of the top of the slit, and it worked out fine.

I turned the skirt inside out because it made it easier to be sure I was making the  hemline both even and hidden. Had I sewn the hem over the front of the skirt, the hemline would have been visible.

For the sewing itself, I did simple hand stitches. (A video about how to make those stitches can be found here.)

Starting up the sides to make sure I had the hemline folded evenly so the front would not look uneven. 

I then started with some simple stitches in the front of the skirt in order to secure the hem and be sure it did not unravel when I moved or walked around.

I used navy threat and not black thread so where I made the stitches would be partially visible for the sake of the photo. In regular lighting without flash, the stitches are not visible at all.

Styling

When styling this skirt, I was aware that it is a piece of clothing that could easily translate into a business-casual look. In order to avoid that (not because that is a bad look but because I am a mere college student) I paired it with a tee shirt, both in my original post it was featured in, and when I wore the skirt to class.

All in all, the process took me less than a half hour, and the skirt cost me $1!

Junior Writing Arts major. Concentrations in Creative Writing and New Media and Publishing. Blogger, vegetarian, plant mom, tea enthusiast. https://nickelanddimepiece.wordpress.com/
Hello! My name is Morgan and I am a senior history major at Rowan! I am a huge nerd and am pretty much into anything and everything academic or nerdy. I love to write and draw and read.