Rowan Television Network President Tells All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Have you ever seen fellow students around campus with cameras? How about reporters on the sideline at our football games, or the people getting up close and personal to comedians, magicians, and musicians at RAH events? That’s the Rowan Television Network! RTN is a club that is dedicated to aiding the Rowan community through video services. As the secretary for RTN, I took the time to sit down with our President, Jason Carubia, to ask him a couple of questions…

Q) How did you get involved in RTN?

A) I remember first finding the ad for the club on a napkin dispenser and thinking “This is where I need to be.” I walked right into that first meeting, watched as the E-board, under Matt Montalto ran the meeting, and immediately asked how I could help. It was almost instant.

Q) So, what is RTN doing right now?

A) RTN is exploring its boundaries and pushing its limits. One thing RTN has always been good at is being star-catchers, and what I mean by that is that the entire club has never been afraid to reach the seemingly impossible. For example, we’re working on becoming a high definition station with our recent purchase of a 16 terabyte network storage. We’ve already purchased HD cameras and an HD Portable Studio. We just need to keep pushing towards that expensive purchase of an HD Channel.

Q) What do you like about the Rowan Television Network?

A) I like how RTN doesn’t settle. We’re constantly restless, looking for bigger and better ways to do things.

Q) What has been your favorite shoot that you’ve ever been a part of?

A) It’s hard to narrow it down to one, but I would have to say the first Telethon* from 2011. I was an Assistant Producer and just being around to help run such a big event is such an awesome opportunity.

Q) What is something that people may not know about the Rowan Television Network? What are some stereotypes or something that you’ve heard that people think of the club that are not true?

A) Well for starters, RTN is about service. Our primary role on campus is to help the Rowan community and its affiliates. Secondly, we welcome EVERYONE. Lastly, we want to work with other clubs on campus too! The club draws inspiration from all media outlets and everyday outlets. We’re here to help you!

Q) Can you give our readers some contact information so they can get in touch with you if they are interested in getting RTN to cover an event? 

A) Sure. My email is jacarub@gmail.com. You can follow me on twitter @jacarub or find me on facebook/linkedin.

Jason is a junior double major in Radio-TV-Film and Advertising who enjoys playing guitar, singing, movies, video games, social gatherings, archery, creating stories, acting, producing, and directing. Five years from now he sees himself working in a production studio or network in production or commercial marketing.

*The RTN Telethon is an end of the year event that we host where all proceeds benefit the organization or charity decided on months prior. Last year’s event was about Hurricane Sandy relief. Before that, the production where Jason was Assistant Producer, was for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Our 7th Annual Telethon will be happening again THIS YEAR. Stay tuned!

In the meantime, make sure to check out your fellow students on RTN Channel 5, or at www.rtnch5.tv!

Erin studies television and film production, anthropology, and writing at Rowan University. Her spirit animal is a horse and she loves floral prints.