Rowan Houses Over 1,000 Evacuees During Hurricane Irene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Glassboro – The Rowan University campus experienced a dramatic yet rewarding experience as Hurricane Irene threatened the lives of residents from south jersey. The campus was designed as a Red Cross emergency shelter site and was used to hold evacuees from the nearby area.
          A number of volunteers came together at Rowan University to help residents in need. Guests were being kept in Esby and the nearby university Recreation Center. Inside Esby, guests walked around and to one side of the gymnasium there were rows of green cots. Occupying those cots were guests who were teens, elderly, blind, handicapped, and young adults. Some guests sat and just waited, while others were constantly on their phones and others were simply dazed or exhausted.
         The guests were provided with free food, free shelter, free service and even free transportation to the campus.

“Our institution came together for a great cause in which we helped house over 1200 members of the south jersey community” Harris said. Mike Harris, Rowan’s vice president of Facilities and Operations.
The Rowan campus was welcoming to these guests and provided them with an opportunity to feel safe while they waited out the storm.
         Members of the office of Residential Learning and University Housing served an important role by staying on campus and helping out the Red Cross in accepting and accommodating the guests. The resident assistants were giving out food and beverages in an efficient way.
          “It was a truly moving experience” he said. Bill Russell, Townhouse Resident Assistant at Rowan.
         “Seeing everyone in the community united to ensure the safety of others was inspiring and I am honored to have been there” Russell said.
         The University was a big support for everyone who participated in this evacuation and they are very proud of their efforts. Volunteers and the Red Cross helped out in every way possible and the outcome was incredible.

A senior English major at Rowan University, Meghan spends most of her time reading, writing, working out, and watching dramatic TV shows. She also likes to experiment in the kitchen, trying out the recipes she learned in cooking class during her semester abroad in Florence. Meghan has recently completed an internship in the Features department of the Courier-Post newspaper, and will continue to work for them and Jersey Eats magazine as a freelancer. Aside from class, most of her time on campus is spent in the publications suite, where she is the new Features Editor of Rowan's award-winning student newspaper, The Whit. Sushi, country music, and the gym get her through her days, and she is so excited to be joining the Her Campus team!