Romantic Movie Night: Staying-In and Going-Out Options

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Going Out:

Endless Love

If you are looking for a predictable, pull-at-your-heart-strings love story then Endless Love will be your movie of choice. A remake from the 1981 original, this story directed by Shana Feste tells the tale of a privileged, sheltered teen named Jade (played by Gabriella Wilde) who falls in love with a working-class young man named David (played Alexander Pettyfer). The movie is directed towards the Nicholas Sparks crowd (though this is not a Nicholas Sparks novel) where the pretty couple meets, falls in love, is separated by a struggle and may found love in the end. It is definitely a movie worth watching if you are interested in classic (and charmingly predictable) romance films.

Staying In:

The Spectacular Now

Don’t have the funds or desire to go out to a movie? Stay in! The Spectacular Now is now available on Redbox and to buy on DVD. It is a beautiful, coming-of-age story of Sutter (played by Miles Teller) and Amy (played by Shailene Woodley), two seniors in high school, and their relationship forming through their final year of high school. The Spectacular Now has a similar feeling to The Perks of Being a Wallflower, without the serious undertones and messages that are in Perks. A flaw in the film is the build-up and let-downs through the movie. Some scenes are played to be very serious (and slightly predictable) then fall flat. It could be seen as refreshing that the movie does not pan out as one would think, but in some scenes the predictability would have been a good thing.

So if you decide to go out or stay in, these two romantic films are good choices! And no one says you have to watch them with a date! The beauty of romance films are the predictability of them and the feel good moments people receive when watching them. It is all about the journey. We all know that the boy will meet the girl but how will they meet? We all know they will fall in love, but we enjoy seeing the moment happen. We enjoy seeing the progression from the first date to the first kiss to the passion of it all. Then, it’s the big twist. The break up. We cry and we shout, but we know they are getting back together. We know there will be a happy outcome (if you’re a Nicholas Sparks fan, the happy outcome is usually bittersweet) but that’s okay. We accept it. It’s the beauty of a romance film. But be sure to remember that love in a movie is completely different than love in reality, so keep that in mind when you’re gushing and blushing!

And if you aren’t up for these cheesy flicks then have no worry! Fifty Shades of Grey will be released next Valentine’s Day! This movie will definitely not be predictable in the ways we are used to! 

Jaymilynn, also known as Jaymi, is a 4th year Senior at Rowan University. She is currently studying for her Bachelors in Public Relations, and is pursuing a minor in Advertising and Journalism. She is also pursuing a concentration in Creative Writing. Jaymi hails from the small Mom-And-Pop town of Galloway, New Jersey. She is a member of Rowan's PRSSA. Jaymi is also a staff writer for the on-campus school newspaper, The Whit. With big dreams of being a novelist someday, Jaymi spends a majority of her time reading books and working on writing a book series of her own. To friends she is known to be a bit cynical, but loveable as well. A Mac'N Cheese fanatic, faithful Yoga attendee, and an extreme chocolate lover! She's a wide-eyed girl ready to take on the world one sarcastic comment at a time!