“Red Pill Blues” Review of Maroon 5’s 6th Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

It’s been 15 years since we first heard the songs of Maroon 5 come across our radios. From hits like “She Will Be Loved,” “Harder to Breathe,” and “This Love,” to where they are now, it has been a crazy journey for the band.

Over the years, fans have heard the band’s sound evolve from rock to pop as they collaborated with hit musicians and a rose to fame. On November 5th, Maroon 5 released their much anticipated sixth studio album. A super fan, like myself, has been waiting since 2014 for the release of new album and the wait is finally over! I spent most of the night listening to the album on repeat and here are my thoughts….

Yes, It’s different than what most Maroon 5 fans are used to. I think the change is a good thing and the album is GREAT!! The band has come out and said they are open to new things and changing their sound! That is clear with this album. The sound of the album is much different than anything the band has put out before. The great thing about Maroon 5 is that every time they make an album, all the songs are hits! The “Red Pill Blues” album has a mixture of pop, catchy hits such has “What Lovers Do” and “Don’t Wanna Know,” and feel good songs such as “Help Me Out” and “Visions.”

My Top 3 Picks From “Red Pill Blues”

“Lips on You”

Ladies, get ready for this song!!! Adam Levine singing about putting his lips on you; how could you not love it! The song has a perfect mixture of a good beat and the true talent of Adam Levine’s voice.  The song is all about getting hot and heavy with that special someone. This song is something new for Maroon 5 and I’m loving it!!

“Best For You”

“Best For You” is a great song for anyone who has been through a breakup that they didn’t necessary want to go through. The song talks about leaving your significant other because you know you aren’t good for them.  

“Closure”

This song is 11 minutes! A song that long is a bold move by any musician. Maroon 5 makes it work!  The song’s message is all about getting closure from that certain someone that you can’t get enough of! It has a fun beat and gives the band a special spotlight for the last 7 minutes of the song. On an album that has more production sounds than actual music from the band, it’s great to have the last part of the song feature their talent. 

I highly suggest that everyone stream the album over the weekend. You will not be disappointed and you will find a song that you can relate to, dance to, and sing along to!

SaveSave

SaveSave