Q&A with Sophia Pettiford, Creator of Twenteeplus.com

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.
This week HerCampus had the opportunity to speak with Sophia Pettiford, founder and creator, of Twenteeplus.com. A wesbite for all those 20+ featuring articles and news from all different genres. Pettiford is a student at Rowan University who created the website for a class of hers. 

I hear you started this website because of an assignment. What class was this for? 
Yes, I did. It started for my Participatory Media class with Professor Maria Simone.

What was the assignment? 
The assignment was to create a piece of participatory media, in my case a website, that incorporated the lessons we learned within the class about media and goals. Some people in my class did tumblr blogs, Pinterests, Instagrams, and Twitters.  I decided to stick with the WordPress website and use Twitter and Facebook as secondary platforms.

Did you receive your grade for it yet?
No, I haven’t received my grade for the class yet, but I am looking forward to it! No matter what it turns out to be, I will happy with the website and the fact that I got the chance to create it.

What else are you a part of on-campus?
I am an executive board member for the Rowan Television Network (RTN) and are an active member in Cinema Workshop (CW).

Will you continue the site when the class is over? 
Of course! I know personally being this age can be crazy and stressful. We’re told to live it up, but also buckle down and plan for the future which can be confusing especially since we all seem to go through it alone together. The website’s ultimate goal is to bring us together, share what we learn and go through during the transition, and pass it on, whether it’s a tip about dealing with an ex or a why to register to vote. I have no plans of stopping just because the class is over especially since it’s become bigger than myself and my grade.

What kind of articles do you write about?
We write articles ranging from self esteem and relationships to college and career. There is even some daily music and movie suggestions. The website has a pretty big spectrum because it’s mainly about what anyone our age wants to say.  I am always open to and looking for new writers and contributors!

Who is your main audience?
My main audience is the everyday 20 something year old, but it’s not limited to them at all. I look to reach out to those who are not quite 20 yet, but need some future advice and those who have left their 20’s and want to leave some advice. Kind of like a worldwide mentor/mentee relationship (hence the odd spelling of twenty). 

What is your major and what do you hope to become someday?
I am a Radio/Television/Film major with a concentration in New Media and a minor in Communication Studies. I hope to become a screenwriter and producer in the near future and continue the website as my journey continues. Although my heart lies with writing and coming up with new ideas, I also love production in all it’s aspects like directing, set design, and even costume design. I find it all very fascinating and exciting. I wish to include everything that I’ve gained from new media and communication to help move me forward with film and television in new, innovated ways. 

What preparations have you done for the telethon? 
I was the Music Coordinator for this year’s 7th Annual Telethon. I was apart of the production team that planned and scheduled for months before the actual event. My duties included finding all the musical acts and communicating important information between them and the rest of the team. The event was a huge success and I couldn’t have asked for a better team to work with. 
Jaymilynn, also known as Jaymi, is a 4th year Senior at Rowan University. She is currently studying for her Bachelors in Public Relations, and is pursuing a minor in Advertising and Journalism. She is also pursuing a concentration in Creative Writing. Jaymi hails from the small Mom-And-Pop town of Galloway, New Jersey. She is a member of Rowan's PRSSA. Jaymi is also a staff writer for the on-campus school newspaper, The Whit. With big dreams of being a novelist someday, Jaymi spends a majority of her time reading books and working on writing a book series of her own. To friends she is known to be a bit cynical, but loveable as well. A Mac'N Cheese fanatic, faithful Yoga attendee, and an extreme chocolate lover! She's a wide-eyed girl ready to take on the world one sarcastic comment at a time!