Out of State, But Not Out of Mind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

One of the first questions you need to ask yourself when applying to college is: are you going to stay in-state or go out-of-state? There are many benefits to both sides. In-state is cheaper, you most likely will be closer to home, and you have a better chance of knowing people at the school. If you go out-of-state, financial aid may be more readily available, you get to really branch out and be on your own, and you surround yourself with people who may not have grown up just like you.

Personally, I decided that out of state was the better option for me. I grew up and live in Pennsylvania, but none of the schools there had what I was looking for. Instead, I went an hour over to New Jersey to beautiful Rowan University, and I could not be any happier.

Of course, there were some struggles with the switch from PA to NJ — who knew there was a war going on about whether it’s Taylor Ham or Pork Roll?! I also knew absolutely no one upon coming here, except my roommate who I had met a few times beforehand. She happened to know many people because quite a few of her high school friends came to Rowan as well and she took it upon herself to introduce me to so many people (God bless her, honestly). Within a few weeks, I had made more friends and met more people than I ever had in high school.

I could not have made a better decision coming to Rowan; it feels just like a second home to me. Whether it be for monetary reasons, your parents’ concerns, or your own apprehensions, I highly encourage you to consider out of state schools. They could turn out to be everything you wanted!

Tyra Gwalthney is a Junior Dual Major in Law and Justice and Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management in the Honors Concentration. Alongside HerCampus- and being a HerCampus Trendsetter- she also is the Vice President of the Animal Advocacy Club, and enjoys volunteering as often as she can. She loves dogs, summer, the beach, and anything involving chocolate. Want to chat? Email: gwalthnet0@students.rowan.edu