Oh My: The Fifty Shades of Grey movie review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

The anticipated movie of 2015 finally launched on February 13, 2015 in theaters with plenty of hungry and deprived fans dying to get the full view of the famous Christian Grey and the Red Room. The series has sold over 100 million copies worldwide and has been translated into 52 languages, setting the record in the United Kingdom for the fastest-selling paperback of all time! (Oh my!)

The steamy role of Christian Grey was played by Hollywood-dreamboat, Jamie Dornan alongside cute and fiery Dakota Johnson in the role of Anastasia Steele. For those of you who don’t know, and have obviously been living under a rock, Fifty Shades of Grey is a romantic tale of a young and naïve Anastasia who accidentally stumbles (literally!) into the office of billionaire Christian Grey when interviewing him for an upcoming article in her school’s paper. Sparks fly, and the two begin a romance….of sorts. To avoid all the gore, Mr. Grey has particular taste when it comes to, you-know-what, and Anastasia has to make the decision either to stay in a relationship of that nature, or not.

Spoiler alert: The trilogy will be hitting the cinema in the years to follow! Huzzah! Another book series turned into films.

Like most books turned to films, it is exciting to see the characters you have read about come to life on the big-screen, but have you noticed it sometimes feels like a parody? Almost as though the directors tired too hard to get it right, but it’s a double-edge sword, because you will suffer from angry readers if you do not get every detail on the mark.

The beginning scene when Anastasia and Christian meet is by-far my favorite (mostly because I enjoyed reading this scene in Christian Grey’s POV in the extra chapters released). A big complaint from fans was that the directors made Anastasia too frumpy. Sure, she’s a 22-year-old literature student who doesn’t own a razor and has never been on a date, but she was also described (in Christian’s POV) as being busty with nice hips and legs. Just because Anastasia didn’t date it doesn’t mean she was a full-blown mess. Maybe it’s just the hair? I didn’t envision her having such choppy and streaky hair.

The personality portrayed by Dakota Johnson was fantastic. She created the shy yet cheeky Anastasia fans adore, unlike Kristin Stewart and her bland representation of Bella Swan in The Twilight Saga. I truly believe Dakota Johnson is what brought the Fifty Shades movie to life. I mean, just look at her, doesn’t she resemble us twenty-something collegiate gals who are all dying to be swept off our feet? 

And of course, there is the matter of our big star, Mr. Christian Grey….

Jamie Dornan had the bedroom eyes every girl dreams of looking into, but did he truly deliver as a gorgeous, sadistic billionaire? Eh, I’d give him a 7 out of 10 on that scale. I think Dornan just has too gorgeous of a face to pull off the Husky-I-Will-Whip-You-And-Like-It face, but that is only my opinion. I did not see the intensity of Christian Grey on the big-screen. Nevertheless, he did his job as actor very, very well (Oh my!)

The scenes were not as risqué as I had feared, or maybe I was just more tolerable than others. Having recently seen The Boy Next Door starring Jennifer Lopez, I was able to handle Fifty Shades better, but maybe that’s only because I read the books and knew what to expect!

I won’t tell you that it’s a romantic movie to go see with your date (absolutely not) but I do believe it is a great chick flick to watch with your gal pals! I mean, come on, can you really watch Fifty Shades with your boyfriend in a theater and not get arrested for public indecency?

Fifty Shades of Grey is definitely a must-see whether it be in theaters or Redbox. The film depicts another kind of love, a darker side to it, which is an interesting take on the role of romantic comedies and drama through the years.

So catch a flight on Charlie Tango and go see the movie that everyone will be talking about. You don’t want to be the last one in class not knowing about the Red Room of Pain!

Jaymilynn, also known as Jaymi, is a 4th year Senior at Rowan University. She is currently studying for her Bachelors in Public Relations, and is pursuing a minor in Advertising and Journalism. She is also pursuing a concentration in Creative Writing. Jaymi hails from the small Mom-And-Pop town of Galloway, New Jersey. She is a member of Rowan's PRSSA. Jaymi is also a staff writer for the on-campus school newspaper, The Whit. With big dreams of being a novelist someday, Jaymi spends a majority of her time reading books and working on writing a book series of her own. To friends she is known to be a bit cynical, but loveable as well. A Mac'N Cheese fanatic, faithful Yoga attendee, and an extreme chocolate lover! She's a wide-eyed girl ready to take on the world one sarcastic comment at a time!