Not So Good Pumpkin Spice Lattes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Nothing screams fall more than a pumpkin spice latte. Walking around campus with a hot Starbucks drink helps me get through the busy fall semester. But, next time you’re standing in that long line at Starbucks, you may want to rethink your order.

Based on numerous dietitians, large amounts of sugar and high calories are found in this delicious, yet unhealthy drink. For instance, Katie Ferraro, a dietitian, nutrition consultant, and assistant clinical professor once stated that “Pumpkin itself is healthy. Cinnamon and nutmeg are fine. But pumpkin spice lattes are about sugar.” On the other hand, an article from www.healthline.com indicates that “a 12 oz pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks has 50 grams of sugar and 380 calories” (to put this into perspective, the American Heart Association recommends a daily intake of only 25 grams of sugar each day!). But hey, I am not writing this article to tell you not to drink this delicious drink, I am here to provide you with a healthier and just as delicious recipe that will satisfy those pumpkin-craving taste buds.

Below I have provided my readers with a delicious pumpkin spice latte that is far more healthy and just as delicious as any Starbucks drink! Enjoy.

Ingredients:

• 2 cups milk
  • 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • ½ cup strong hot coffee
  • Low-fat whipped cream (optional)

Directions:

1. Heat the milk, pumpkin, and sugar. Add milk, pumpkin puree, and sugar to a saucepan over medium heat. Heat until hot, but do not boil.
  2. Whisk in the vanilla, spices, and coffee. Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and the coffee.
  3. Serve the drinks. Divide the mixture between two mugs. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.

@inspiredtaste. “Best Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe.” Inspired Taste. N.p., 15 Sept. 2016. Web. 09 Oct. 2016.

Written by Lori Roniger | Published on September 19, 2016. “Holy Holidays! Are Pumpkin Spice Lattes Really Bad for You?” Healthlines RSS News. N.p., 19 Sept. 2016. Web. 09 Oct. 2016

Elementary Education & Writing Arts major at Rowan University! "Let the beauty of what you love be what you do." -Rumi.