wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Nick Mason and Mike Wootton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Hey everyone! This week I am featuring two best friends, almost brothers, as the profile spotlights! Their names are Nicholas Mason and Michael Wootton, both senior history majors!

Now, the friendship between these two “bros” is unique, for sure. Perhaps they bonded over their mutual love for history, or video games. Perhaps it was fate, perhaps it was a weird coincidence. Either way, both have worked their tails off while at Rowan University and both have bright (although separate :( ) futures ahead of them. Did I play them up enough?

Both are currently graduating officers for the national history honor society chapter at Rowan; Psi Iota. Nick is the President, and Mike handles the finances as treasurer. They both also presented their respective history research papers at the Phi Alpha Theta regional conference, which took place at West Chester University this year.

(Mike Wootton on left, Nick Mason on right)

Though they have some things in common, they are also different in some ways. For example, Nick hails from nearby Vineland, while Mike comes from “central Jersey” (yeah okay) from a town called Wall Township. They both hang out together a lot, a favorite past time of Nick’s, and explore plenty of music, a hobby of Mike’s.

Nick and Mike share memories at Rowan as well; Nick’s favorite is eating pizza and playing Mario Kart,  while Mike reminisces on the times spent hanging out in the attic of the first house he lived in off campus.

However, they both have different interests in media. Nick loves the show Gurren Lagann, while Mike likes Ghost in the Shell, although both

of these shows are anime.  Mike loves to read and watch Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien  while Nick prefers The Chinese in America by Iris Chang, and The Girl who Leapt Through Time.  

However, their role models have something in common. While Mike seeks to emulate his mother, Nick looks to his father!

They both recently got accepted into graduate schools and will be studying advanced degrees. At Syracuse University, Nick will work towards a Ph. D in History while working as a teaching assistant, and Mike will work as a graduate assistant in the history department at Fordham University while studying for a Masters in Arts in History, with plans to go back for his Ph. D later.

Finally, when asked to give some advice to incoming students, they both had two pieces each to give. First, Mike stated “if your friends tell you a girl likes you… She likes you,” while Nick said “Free time is a myth.” Then, on a (slightly) more serious note, the boys recommended getting involved in as much as possible, and staying on top of readings while getting to know your professors. Both things pay off, and both things will keep you plenty busy! 

I've never really been good at writing biographies, so here is a quick list of facts about me instead! My favorite Disney movie is The Little Mermaid I rode my bike into a pole when I was eight York Peppermint Patties are my favorite chocolate Walking in the rain is my favorite thing to do (when it's raining, of course) Snakes absolutely terrify the crap out of me. Have a happy day! P.S Live to love, love to live!