Little Things You Can Buy to Make College Life Easier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

We’ve all been there. It’s August and the semester starts in a month. It’s dorm shopping time. It’s easy enough to remember the essentials: bedding, towels, a surge protector, etc. However, it’s easy to let the little things slip through the cracks. Here are my top ten not-so essential essentials for college/dorm life.

1. Step Stool

This is for all those girls with the lofted beds out there. Yeah, you can always just use a chair to hop onto the bed, but personally, my chair always has clothes, textbooks, or a person on it. With a simple step stool, you can use your chair for however you like and also use the stool to reach higher places that might have food or storage.

1. Tumbler

A Tumbler is a great thing for a number of reasons. It’s cost effective, for one. There’s no longer a need to buy water bottles. If you have a Brita, just use the water from that Having water on hand is always a good thing. whether it’s from a workout, getting a cough in class, or just because you’re thirsty. If you’re not much of a water drinker, pour whatever you like in it! Tumblers come in different sizes, shapes, and decorations. My Star Wars tumbler gets plenty of compliments and works as an ice breaker too!

1. Tums

Long story short, food on campus isn’t the greatest or greatest for you. It never hurts to have something for when the greasy food is taking a toll on your stomach.

1. A Pair of Not So Nice Sneakers

College is messy. Try bringing a pair of sneakers you wouldn’t mind getting messed up because of the various activities on campus. I’ve been on campus three weeks and I already have paint, mud, and who knows what else on my sneakers!

1. Doorstopper

This might seem like a no brainer to some people or completely unnecessary to others, but a doorstopper is just nice to have. Keeping your door open invites girls from your floor to talk to you or is just convenient if you’re running in and out of your room for whatever reason. I, myself, didn’t buy a doorstopper and I hate having to use a towel or shoe or backpack or whatever to prop my door open. Just spend the extra bucks and buy one!

1. Extra Headphones

Self-explanatory. Headphones are good for walking, exercising, blocking out noise, etc. but they’re also incredibly easy to misplace or break. Buy an extra pair!

1. A Husband/Throw Pillows

At home, I thought throw pillows were useless. In college, it’s a whole other story. When hanging in the common room of your dorm, there’s not always enough couch seating so the floor it is. With a husband or some giant throw pillows, the uncomfortable floor will transform into a great place to sit for watching, talking to friends, or leaning back and doing homework.

1. Orange Juice

If you’re feeling under the weather, the Vitamin C will boost that immune system of yours and hopefully fight off any cold that’s forming.

1. Neon/White Clothes

For high lighter parties, paint parties, color run, and anywhere with a black light these are a necessity.

10. Dinner/Breakfast Items You Can Eat in Your Room

A meal plan is a wonderful thing but sometimes there’s just no time to go out and eat. Bring something that can hold you over as an actual meal rather than just a snack for those mornings and nights where it’s not worth taking the walk.

The school year is already well on its way but it’s not too late to pick up a few last minutes items to help make the transition from home to campus a little easier!