Little Life Lessons: Freedom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Happy almost finals week! Please note the immense sarcasm in my greeting. But I do wish all of you the best of luck in the upcoming weeks. BRACE YOURSELVES, a kickass article is coming.

This week (and to be honest, in past weeks) I have been thinking about what is holding me back from achieving all that I want in life. And the only viable reason that I can come up with is; myself.

Think about it… Yes, you do need things like money to succeed in this world, but isn’t it better to make money doing something you love? Last week we talked about the importance of improving yourself for your own sake, and not for anyone else.  Similarly, this week we will talk about your hand in your own future. I am avoiding using the term destiny, because some people think that destiny will unfold no matter what happens. To that, the great philosopher Blair Waldorf has this to say.

Thanks, Blaire.

Many of you have probably heard the saying “An entire sea of water can’t sink a ship unless it gets inside the ship. Similarly, the negativity of the world can’t put you down unless you allow it to get inside you.” (Goi Nasu). As much as I like that quote, I do not want all of you to think of yourselves as ships. You are not a ship that can be easily tied to shore by a mere rope or stopped in the middle of the ocean, weighed down by an anchor. You are not vulnerable to bad weather, or inept sailors. You are strong, independent, and driven. You are ambitious and free to live your life as lavishly and as extraordinarily as you please. Do not let anything hold you back or stop you on the way to your destiny, like a rope or an anchor does to a ship. A ship spends most of its life docked, waiting for the next adventure. YOU my lovely reader are not a ship because you are constantly on an adventure. You are seeking life, you are chasing your dreams and you are not waiting for someone to set sail. You’re in charge of your own destiny, right?

You are free. Fly across the world, climb up the highest mountain, explore the deepest ocean. Do not let worldly limitations keep you from doing what you are meant to do.

If you love the metaphor of being a ship, that is fine. But set sail, don’t let icebergs or inept sailors sink you. Don’t let a storm change your course, and do not spend your life waiting to be taken out to sea.

Head out there yourself, you beautiful person you, you are free and you are going places.

I've never really been good at writing biographies, so here is a quick list of facts about me instead! My favorite Disney movie is The Little Mermaid I rode my bike into a pole when I was eight York Peppermint Patties are my favorite chocolate Walking in the rain is my favorite thing to do (when it's raining, of course) Snakes absolutely terrify the crap out of me. Have a happy day! P.S Live to love, love to live!