How to: Prof Pride Nails

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

As Rowan University’s Homecoming approaches, so do the spirited events! If you don’t want to be wearing solely the school colors head-to-toe daily, (because, I mean, how many brown articles of clothing do you have in your closet?) a perfect way to be sure you’re super peppy  as you’re surrounded by overwhelming amounts of school spirit is by reppin’ Rowan with this manicure. It ties together the spirit colors, gold and brown, with the mascot, the Prof, so you won’t have to struggle attempting to assemble a cute outfit from brown and gold pieces each day (is that even possible?).

Begin by brushing an even coat of a gold polish across your thumb, index and pinky nails. On the remaining nails, apply a brown or deep nude shade. These will be the accent nails of the manicure.

Choose either one of the accent nails and swipe a quick application of a deeper brown shade starting from the center of the outside edges and bringing it down and in towards the middle of the nail tip almost in a triangular formation. Be careful not to connect them. These will act as the Prof’s wings.

Moving on, use an orange polish to create a tiny triangle in-between the wings. This is your Prof’s beak. Use the end of a toothpick to shape the edges and make them more precise.

Of course any Prof would not be complete without their bold eyes!  Using a nail polish dotting tool or the bubble end of a bobby pin, pick up a white polish and dab it twice above opposite ends of the orange beak.

On the other accent nail, I chose to simply tie the gold and brown theme together by dotting gold polish in a polka dot formation. Allow the whites of the eyes plenty of time to dry before using a smaller dotting tool or another toothpick lightly dipped in a black nail polish and applying the Prof’s pupils in the center of the white dots made earlier.

Finish with a coat of a clear top coat and that is all there is to creating this spirited nail look! It’s really easy and quite hoot, *ahem* cute, that is. If you try out this manicure, post a photo on Instagram using #HerCampusRowan – we would love to see! 

Founder, Editor-in-Chief & Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Stockton University School of Business - Marketing Concentration | Stockton University