Health Trend Review: Kombucha

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

It’s possible you’ve never heard of it, but kombucha is a health trend that seems to be growing in popularity. I found out about it from a lot of friends who are into health and fitness, and I am starting to see more and more people drinking it. But what is it? Wellness Mama explains kombucha as “a traditional fermented drink made of black tea and sugar. It contains a variety of vitamins, minerals and enzymes and has been prized by traditional cultures for its health-promoting properties. More specifically, kombucha is a sweetened tea that is fermented with a SCOBY (a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast) to become a nutrient-rich beverage”.

Sounds gross, right? I mean, who wants to drink bacteria and live probiotics? I’ll be honest that the first time I had kombucha I HATED it. It was GTS Synergy’s Trilogy flavor, which has a strong ginger taste. I absolutely despise ginger, so I should’ve known it would not be a good choice for me. If I remember correctly, I think I threw it out.

BUTTTTTTTTT…..I decided to give it another go. The farm market I work at carries a more local brand called Baba’s Brew. Each week they offer two different flavors at the market. I tried Chamomile Honey, which was much more mild and no ginger flavor at all. I would say this was an ideal flavor for beginners to try since it is so mild. I have also tried Rosy Apple and a seasonal flavor called Cranberry Sparkle, both of which I really loved. I have also tried Hibiscus which was good, but not a favorite of mine.

Unfortunately, it is expensive for me to buy the Baba’s Brew since it’s more local. I began to explore other kombucha options that were available in my ShopRite. I have found that Kevita’s Master Brew Raspberry Lemon is really good and a perfectly tart beverage without being too fermented, and their Pineapple Peach is a close second. They offer a Root Beer flavor and Lavender Melon, which both seem interesting but I haven’t tried yet.

Also, GTS Synergy offers plenty of kombuchas that don’t have a strong ginger taste like that Trilogy one I had. For example, their Cosmic Cranberry flavor is more more mild and pleasant, in my opinion, and I like it a lot!

There are plenty of other brands that I have heard people rave about, such as Health Ade. I’ve found that it is definitely trial and error when you are getting into kombucha. You just have to find brands and flavors that you like, and everyone has different preferences. I notice I feel more energized after drinking kombucha and it apparently helps with gut health too! I am very excited to keep trying new brands and flavors!

Junior Biological Sciences major with an Honors concentration and Psychology minor. Photographer and researcher. Just a girl obsessed with Netflix, small animals, plants, and all things Pinterest. littletricksoflight.blogspot.com