This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Healthy living. It is everywhere these days. You can barely go a day without hearing the words “organic,” “exercise” or “fit.” Granted, Green Zebra is a fantastic place to eat without feeling guilty, and a little jog on the treadmill never really hurt anyone, but I have the ultimate health tip.

No, I’m not here to advertise a new supplement, or try to convince you to start jogging through the campus at 5 a.m. because let’s get real, if I were, you would stop reading this right here. Am I right?

No, instead I’m here to tell you that even if you eat and drink greens and run miles each day, you still may be putting your health at risk. Confused? Come with me now.

Tell me; how often did you prioritize yourself today? How often did you appreciate the little things? How often did you compliment yourself today? If you answered any of these questions with a single digit number, we may have a problem.

Yes, it is important to be kind and selfless but it is equally as important to think of yourself. Here are ten things you have to try in the next week. I can almost guarantee that you will start to feel better about yourself before the next RAH trip to Philly.

1.      Wake up earlier. Yes, wake up at least an hour and a half before your first class – even if it is an 8 a.m. During this time, have a great breakfast, take a long hot (or cold if you want) shower, plug into your favorite song and relax. Spending more time on yourself in the morning instead of hurrying to get things done is a major stress reliever. You will be relaxed for your next class and you will have a better day.

2.      Stand up for yourself. We’re all adults here, so I really hope this doesn’t have to apply to any bullies. However, if you have a problem with your roommate but don’t want to say anything in an attempt to keep the peace, say it anyway. The longer you hold your breath to avoid the problem, the worse it will become and the harder it will be fix it later. You don’t really want roommate stress added onto finals week, do you? If you and your roommate are best friends, great. But if some guy won’t leave you alone, don’t just avoid him – tell him off. Usually guys just bother girls because their buddies are watching. If you set him straight, you will feel good about yourself and you might bruise the ego of a potential heartbreaker – saving him from hurting other girls!

3.      Ignore the message. If you’re trying to sleep, do your homework or eat and your phone keeps buzzing, ignore it. Trust me. You do not have to reply to every text message right as it comes in. You do not have to answer every single call and the only reason you should be is if it is an emergency. Otherwise, unplug. You could do without double tapping, retweeting or liking a status for a few minutes, can’t you? If you’re not in class and you’re not working, it is a pretty rare occasion and you do not have to share your alone time with anyone. Except mom, because we know how scary it is to have 40 missed notifications all from mom.

4.      Listen. No, not to your roommates fighting or your best friend complain (or brag) about her boyfriend. Grab your headphones and put on your favorite playlist and actually listen to the songs. Or, go sit outside without any music and listen to all the life that is happening around you. Maybe the boys’ soccer team is practicing or maybe there are some tunes raging from the student center. Whatever it is, listen to it without getting involved.

5.      Take a step back. Just because all your friends are headed to the latest frat party, does not mean you have to go. Sure, if you want to, by all means do. But if you would rather stay in with a cup of your favorite hot drink and a full queue on Netflix, go for it. If everybody wants to go out for a night on the town but you’re tired, don’t go because you feel like you have to. Take a step back from all the excitement. The school year has just started; you still have plenty of time to have fun.

6.      Wear something colorful. We all have that crazy article of clothing in our closets that we never wear and that we bought impulsively. Maybe the mannequin pulled it off, maybe the salesclerk was ridiculously cute or maybe it was the only thing in the store fit for a college student’s budget. Whatever it is, it will look great on you and you will feel like a splash of color in the middle of campus.  

7.      Don’t wear makeup or straighten your hair for a day. Just do it. Watch how many compliments you get.

8.      Write on your mirror. Take a dry erase marker and draw smiley faces all over that thing. Write some inspirational quotes on it. Draw a sun in the corner so your morning is always bright. Make the mirror your own – the reflection is just half of what you see when you look into it. Make the other half count.

9.       Take a stroll through Westby Hall. Especially if you’re not an art major and don’t take any classes in that building. Look at the charcoal drawings, the bright paintings and the beautiful metal work. You will really appreciate the work of your fellow students and you may even be inspired to take an art class.

10.  Enjoy the night. The great thing about Glassboro being such a plain town is that the stars are much easier to see at night. If you spend even 10 minutes watching the sky at night, you will feel more relaxed and at peace. Walk through campus with a close friend and enjoy each other’s company and the peaceful setting. It’s starting to get chilly out, so bring your favorite sweater and maybe a thermos of hot cocoa.

I’m not a doctor, nor am I in school to be one. But I do know that health is not solely dependent on the foods you eat and the exercises you perform. Yes, they are big contributors, but your actions towards yourself are the biggest. Forget healthy living; try happy living.

I've never really been good at writing biographies, so here is a quick list of facts about me instead! My favorite Disney movie is The Little Mermaid I rode my bike into a pole when I was eight York Peppermint Patties are my favorite chocolate Walking in the rain is my favorite thing to do (when it's raining, of course) Snakes absolutely terrify the crap out of me. Have a happy day! P.S Live to love, love to live!