Guy Advice Column: Relationships With a Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Finding a serious relationship is hard. Most of the time it starts off when you hardly know each other and you attempt to build that relationship. To become something serious and special you need to share a friendship as well as a romantic relationship.

Getting into a relationship with a friend has the potential for something wonderful or something that goes horribly wrong. However, if you can pull it off, that relationship may become a fantastic experience. There are a few things to keep in mind when you are thinking about a friend you want to get romantically involved with. If it doesn’t work, the fallout afterwards is awkward and you may lose that person forever. If you already have a great friendship with a guy, you most likely trust each other. If you end up ending it with him, you are hurting someone who thought they could trust you. It’s very complicated and tricky. It’s almost impossible to stay friends after a breakup like that. If How I Met Your Mother has taught us one thing, you cannot stay friends with an ex.

With that in mind, it’s easy to test the waters and see if your friend is interested in a relationship.

●     He’s already thought about you romantically. It’s guaranteed. Whether it was about a romantic night on the town, or something a bit more primal, he thought about it.

●     Plenty of guys hate how slow it is to get to know a girl. You’re bypassing that because you know about each other. You’re essentially just skipping the beginning and getting to the good stuff. Most guys would love to do that.

●     Pull the old high school move of asking if he likes anyone. If he doesn’t give you a direct answer or says “I don’t know,” he doesn’t want to shut off the possibility of you dating him. Let’s not do too many of those high school playbook moves. Most of them are really bad.

●     Suggest doing something together that’s a little more intimate than just friends hanging out. It’s a good way to talk about personal matters and steer the conversation to the romantic side and see how he reacts.

●     Or you just ask and be blunt. That’s just so much easier. I recommend this option over everything else. Direct and honest questions are the best.

You are now ready to test how your guy friend would react to a relationship. I hope you know that the best relationship is one with someone you consider your best friend. If you only see someone as your romantic interest or partner, that’s not good enough for a relationship. You should talk to him like you would any other girl friend you have and maybe even more.