Guy Advice Column: Introducing a Girl to the Parents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Parents, they raised us and cared for us. For some, our parents are our best friends and we talk to them all the time. For some, our parents are people who we don’t really talk to very often, but we still care. Either way, there’s always a feeling that you would hate to disappoint them. There’s an extra level to this between a guy and his mom. Dads are mostly always proud of their sons for finding a girl they are enjoying and having fun with. Moms are ridiculously harsher. This is why bringing a girl home to meet them is a very daunting ordeal.

For some guys, bringing a girl to their parents is a sign that they’re serious. The idea that they may not approve can either mean nothing, or everything. It’s always nicer if the parents approve so we don’t have to argue with them; that’s a big reason. We really don’t want to argue or hear our parents say that they don’t approve of the girl we like. We can act like tough guys and threaten other people that say mean things about our girl, but we can’t threaten our parents. It’s hard to say there’s an upside as well. It’s either our parents like you and that’s nice or they don’t and we are in for a world of hell, assuming the guy cares about his parents. Knowing our parents do like you is a huge cloud over our head for the rest of however long the relationship lasts.

Bringing a girl to meet our parents is also another step in commitment for us. For some guys, it shows that they think you’re definitely more than just a fling. Sometimes it’s hard for guys to hit that level. So it’s a good sign if he is, but cut him slack about getting nervous or acting reluctant.