Go Greek or Athlete?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Glassboro, N.J. — Should you go Greek or participate in athletics? Students applying to universities across the nation often consider one issue. Is the University known for Greek life or athletics? Where would I fit in? Who runs the campus? Exactly 756 Rowan students are involved in a Greek-letter organization this semester, according to Rowan University’s Office of Greek Affairs. Greek life accounts for approximately 6% of Rowan students.

Over 490 students play NCAA Division III sports at Rowan. Almost triple that amount participates in intramural sports and club sports. According to most athletes, being on the athletic team is like being involved in a fraternity or sorority. The athletic team is the support system for most students and keeps them busy with games, scheduled practices, training, and more. Rowan athletes are becoming a part of Greek life, too.

Junior Mathew Danback is an active member of Pi Kappa Alpha and the Rowan swim team. Danback swims butterfly and participates in the medley relay. His involvement on the swim team encouraged his further involvement in Rowan. He joined Greek life his freshman year, and pledging as a second semester freshman on the swim team taught him time management and responsibility.

“I wanted to join something bigger than just myself,” said Danback. “I found that more within Greek life than my swim team. People recognize me as a member of Greek life rather than as a swimmer.”

Rowan University offers over 26 Greek letter organizations divided into four umbrella councils to join. The University offers multicultural and Latin based organizations under the Greek Cultural Organization council (GCOC), historically African American fraternities and sororities under the National Pan-Hellenic Council, and traditional affiliated fraternities and sororities under the National Panhellenic Conference and the Interfraternity Council.

The University offers eight men’s and 10 women’s varsity sports. Each competes within NCAA Division III. In addition to the NCAA Division III sports, Rowan has over 45 intramural sport activities per year and 30 organized club sport programs. The Office of Athletics, under director Dan Gilmore, does not discourage athletes from pledging. According to the Office of Athletics, a student is eligible to compete as an NCAA athlete if the athlete maintains a 2.5 GPA. In addition, there are not any rules prohibiting athletes from joining Greek life.

Going Greek gives students a sense of giving back to the community. On the other hand, athletic events raise our school spirit, such as the homecoming football game. Athletics and Greek life often cross paths during homecoming week, fundraisers, and support for on-campus events. These events bring together athletes and Greek life to support Rowan University.

“Greek life is something students get involved with through their own personal choice and contributes to some of the positive and negative aspects of the campus,” says Coordinator of Greek Affairs Kelvin Rodriguez. “Athletics, I would say, contributes to the overall school spirit of campus and the notoriety of campus, due to social gatherings.”

Both Greek life and athletes make an impact on the University in different aspects. Students have mixed opinions on who holds the grounds of Rowan.

“I feel, because since I don’t participate in athleticsl, that the main culture of Rowan is based around Greek life,” said sophomore Andrew Konzelmann. “You see it all around campus. Students wear letters rather than sports gear, plus they’re always helping a charity foundation out.”

Members of Greek life must complete service for the community for Rowan to recognize their chapter, while athletes do not have this obligation.

“Greek life is way more involved and supportive of the Rowan community,” said junior and member of Pi Kappa Alpha Joey Romanzcuk. “Greek life offers more service and we participate in athletics through intramurals and club sports.”

There are more athletic events for Rowan students to attend than Greek events. Athletics are supported by students, alumni, and local fans attending games and showing their Prof Pride. Most Greek events are supported by the Greek community and alumnae.

Administrators see the battle between Greek Life and athletics differently.

“Athletics as a whole are definitely more prevalent on their campus because there are so many students involved in not only varsity sports but club sports and intramurals,” said Dean of Students Richard Jones. “Greek life controls most of the service to the University and provides events for students to participate in or donate to.”

So who rules Rowan’s campus? The answer is all Rowan students.

“Both athletics and Greek life contribute immensely to the Rowan campus and both are equally important and add different aspects to the campus environment,” said Rodriguez.

Nora is a junior at Rowan University. She is pursuing a double major in public relations and advertising, minors in journalism and marketing and a concentration in honors. That sure is a mouthful! She is a member of Theta Phi Alpha. A loyal student of the University, Nora is the PR Director for Career Management Center, an intern at University Advising Center and last, but not least, assistant to Dean Richard Jones! A passionate professional at the least- Nora hopes to find her calling in the communication industry through taking advantage of many opportunities locally.