First Impressions of the MoMa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

A few of my friends and I recently visited the Museum of Modern Art in New York City as part of a trip set up by Rowan’s Honors program. I had never been to the MoMa, but I had signed up for the trip because I love going to New York. In fact, part of me assumed that my friends and I would stay in the museum for thirty minutes tops and then we’d walk around the city, but as soon as we got there, I knew we would be captivated for longer.

The artwork was so interesting. We went to one of the upper levels first and decided that it would be most efficient to work our way down. We started on the Fashion level. Everywhere fabrics cascaded along walls, added color and unique design to the room, and told stories. My favorites were boldly created and obnoxious to the eye. As you went through the rooms, however, the clothes became more modern and everyday. The gallery concluded with a Haines plain white t-shirt… I guess that’s art to someone.

All three of these designs really caught my eye! They are so vibrant and very unique!

After the fashion floor, we went down a level towards some paintings. My favorite paintings were the ones with the most colors, or those that provoked the most thought.

I’m sure everyone knows what this painting is: The Starry Night, Vincent van Gogh. This was an incredible sight to see because I’ve only ever seen this painting in pictures, art classes, or on the internet, and it was surreal seeing it in person. The only problem though was that the painting itself was surrounded by a crowd of art enthusiasts and several security guards. I could get close, but not as close as I would have liked!

This next painting was done by Piet Mondrian. This was incredible to see in person. In fourth grade, I had an art teacher who was OBSESSED with his works and we did at least five projects mimicking his cubism techniques. So after growing up with the artist in mind, it was crazy to see the art in real life.

This last painting is by Umberto Boccioni. It’s called, “ The Dynamism of a Soccer Player.” This was my favorite because it made me feel happy. All of the colors swirling around looked very energetic and excitable.  I also really liked the subtle contrast between bright color and dark shading. Very beautiful.

My experience at the MoMa was fantastic and I enjoyed the thousands of masterpieces they had displayed. If you didn’t know already, the MoMa is a must see!!!!

Ashley Hermansen is a dual major in International Studies and Modern Languages & Linguistics. She loves LOVE and dancing and really just wants to help everyone that she can. That's it, read on <3