This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

It’s that time already, Profs!  Time for finals, and for some, graduation!!  Graduation can be stressful, but it can also be exciting.  This week I really wanted to dive into the life of someone graduating to get her outlook on her entire college experience and what she hopes for after graduation. 

This week our profile features Erin Callahan, a senior Elementary Education and Liberal Studies: Humanities/Social Sciences dual major!  She also has history and geography sequences under her liberal studies major.  On top of all that, she has an international studies concentration and am part of the teaching of reading endorsement. (How she manages all of these majors and concentrations, I will never know…)

I was so excited to interview Erin because I’ve had class with her before, and her work ethic and dedication are admirable!  Erin has been an RA (Resident Assistant) on campus for the past 3 years, and has been involved in the Student University Programmers (SUP), Elementary Education Club, Kappa Delta Pi Education honor society, Leadership Rowan and her sorority, Sigma Delta Tau.  When asked what the best part about being part of a sorority is, Erin replied, “I think one of my favorite things is just being part of a group of women that are empowering and really want to support each other. I like participating in all the service that we do, like our philanthropies and Relay for Life fundraising events. I’ve met some amazing people through this organization and I’ve met people that I never thought I’d ever meet on campus.  It is also really great just expanding my real life social network and experience.”

Here’s a few facts about Erin:

1.      I’m just a diner girl.  I love my breakfast served all day.

2.      I’m kind of ambidextrous. I write with the left hand but do a lot with my right side.

3.      When I dream about having free time, it usually involves coloring adult and kid coloring books.

4.      My favorite songs at the moment are “Snapback” by Old Dominion and “80’s Mercedes” by Maren Morris.

5.      I like to go on adventures, like day trips to places I’ve never been before around campus or at home (hikes, museums, etc.).

6.      My favorite movie hands down is Forrest Gump.

Now, let’s talk graduation!

Q: How does it feel to be graduating?

A: Graduating feels bittersweet. At the end of my junior year I was so ready to leave and start my real life, but I have had the most amazing senior year that I don’t really want to leave now! I lived alone for two years, but this year I had roommates. We didn’t all know each other that well in September, but now I consider them my best friends. Through them I have connected with so many other people on campus!

Q: What are your plans after graduation?

A: Right now, my post grad plans are up in the air. During the summer, I work at a summer camp and a restaurant near my hometown. This summer I will most likely be job hunting for an elementary school teacher position. However, I have also applied for a few jobs in higher education, so who knows what I will actually be up to!

Q: If you could have done college over again, what would you change?

A: For me, I wish I had been less serious about my academics and taken more time to enjoy life. I was very serious about maintaining good grades, which I did, but I definitely wish that I went out more, stayed up later, and had more nights that I could look back on laugh about.

Q: Any advice for freshman?

A: GET INVOLVED! I met one of my best friends at orientation and we decided to join a few clubs together.  I’ve met all these different people throughout these four years, and I feel like I’ve known them for a lot longer.  Also, getting involved helps you figure out your passions and what you really want to do with life after college.

Q: Any advice for people graduating next year?

Cherish your time here. It might sound cliché but stay up late, go out on weeknights, and hang out with your friends instead of doing homework. You will figure it out. There’s only so much time left of having most of your favorite people living within a few miles of you.

So, the lesson here is just to take college as it goes.  Have fun.  Enjoy your friends and get involved!

If you happen to run into Erin on campus, stop by and chat.  She is extremely bright, and she gives really good advice!

Congrats on graduating, Erin!  Best wishes for your future!

I am a full-time student at Rowan University majoring in both Early Childhood Education and Literary Studies, with a minor in Writing Arts. I absolutely love writing poetry and hope to get some of mine published one day. I LOVE to read, particularly YA fiction. On my free time I like to watch Netflix, or browse Barnes and Noble for my next read, with a caramel macchiato in hand.
I am a Writing Arts major at Rowan University. Poetry is my best friend. One day, I hope to be a successful writer for a popular magazine in NYC. My dream is to travel to Paris, London, and Rome to explore and write about my experiences there.