Campus Celeb: Sofia Khorosh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Name: Sofia Khorosh

Age: 19

Talent: Singing

HC: When did you begin performing?

Sofia: My first live performance in front of a large crowd was at the age of 6 on a cruise ship. It was for a talent show, and I was the first person to go up too. I was scared out of my wits because I had only performed in front of my family prior to that. I did talent shows and school functions after that, but I started performing and doing gigs regularly when I was 14.

HC: What has been your favorite show so far?

Sofia: My favorite show I ever played was last year- it was a Candlelight Concert for Epilepsy Awareness…I was an opener for Dan Reed, Chris Trapper, and Ari Hest- three incredibly talented and successful singer-songwriters. I actually had bronchitis that whole week, and the day of the show I barely had a voice. Somehow though, I managed to pull myself together and played what I think may have been one of my best shows ever. At the very end of the show…Dan, Chris, and Ari [and I] did a completely impromptu cover of Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen, and it was one of the most hauntingly beautiful performances I’m proud to say I have ever delivered. They let me sing the lead vocal, and the guys sang the harmonies while my friend Taylor Hope played violin; and it truly was spellbinding.

HC: Do you write your own songs?

Sofia: I write lyrics and music!

HC: What are some of your favorite lyrics you’ve written?

Sofia: My favorite lyrics I’ve ever written would have to be from my song Better Than You’ve Been. It’s a diss to my ex boyfriend who left me for another girl. Needless to say, I wasn’t happy when I found out about it, and there’s a line in very beginning of the song where I sing: “From sunny Florida- you’d think she’d be the hottest chick. I must confess she does possess the charisma of a brick.”

HC: Do you play any instruments?

Sofia: I play guitar, ukulele, and a little bit of keyboard (and by that I mean I know some chords and it ends there.)

HC: What has been your biggest accomplish so far in your career?

Sofia: My biggest accomplishment in my career hands down has to be making it to blind auditions on The Voice. Out of over 310 thousand people that auditioned for the season that is currently airing, I made it to the top 100. Sadly, I didn’t get to audition in front of the coaches because all of the spots on the teams filled before my audition, but the experience was unlike any other. I learned so much, and I got to spend a lot of time in LA- which is something I’ve always wanted to do. I was put down a lot in high school and told that I wouldn’t make it anywhere in the music industry by a lot of people who didn’t want to see me succeed, so getting to experience all that I did in California validates to me that I’m on the right track, and I refuse to give up my dream.

HC: Do you have any “groupies” who go to almost every show?

Sofia: Actually I do! Aside from my parents who come to every show, there are a handful of people I can count on to come to almost all of my shows! It’s the craziest thing in the world because I never thought that would happen to me, but somehow there’s actually a group of people (who are in no way related to me) that come out to my shows and are fans of my music. It’s surreal.

HC: What do you wish most for your music career?

Sofia: I want to make people happy. I think that’s more of a life goal- but I want to achieve that through music. Of course I want to be successful, and I would love to see my name in lights and sell millions of records; but the one thing that brings me the most happiness is seeing the effect my music has on people. I’ve been told so many times that my music is relatable to people, and if I can help someone through a hard time with a meaningful lyric or keep another person singing along to a catchy melody, then I’ve accomplished what I set out to do with what I’ve written. 

I am a Writing Arts major at Rowan University. Poetry is my best friend. One day, I hope to be a successful writer for a popular magazine in NYC. My dream is to travel to Paris, London, and Rome to explore and write about my experiences there.