This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

I am someone who really loves makeup — when I actually take the time to do it. My favorites, though, are to do eyes and lips. Eye makeup has always been one of my favorites; I think I own 6-7 eyeshadow palettes??? But I think the thing that can truly make or break your look is your lashes. That’s why I’m here today with a beauty review on a variety of popular mascaras so that you can flaunt your amazing eyes, framed by lush lashes.

Lights, Camera, Lashes by Tarte – $23.00 at Sephora

I had this mascara a little while ago, and I really liked it at first. It does a great job of separating your lashes so they don’t look clumpy. However, my opinion really changed as the formula got super dry and flaky pretty soon after I started using it. This was disappointing, and for that reason I would pass on this mascara. I did wash off the wand though and kept it as a tool to separate my eyelashes.

Better than Sex by Too Faced – $23.00 at Sephora

This seems to be a cult favorite and I have to agree. The packaging is sleek and pretty, and what’s inside doesn’t disappoint either. This mascara is great for volumizing and gives you nice thick lashes. I would say it’s not as good at lengthening, but still gives a great look. Give it 2-3 coats and you’re good to go!

They’re Real! by Benefit – $24.00 at Sephora

This used to be my favorite mascara a few years ago. It really gives you WOW lashes that could almost look like fake lashes because it’s so good at lengthening. I had to stop using it because it was a little too flaky and really difficult to get off (you would almost think it was waterproof) and ultimately it irritated my eyes and left my eyelashes struggling to recover. I personally would opt out on this mascara, unless you have a reallllly good makeup remover.

HYPNÔSE DRAMA by Lancôme – $27.50 at Sephora

Okay guys, this actually is probably my favorite mascara right now. I got it as a sample from Sephora and I am HOOKED. It’s painfully expensive, but it does such a great job of lengthening and volumizing that I’m in love. I have had multiple people ask me if I’m wearing fake lashes and they are shocked when I tell them I’m just wearing this mascara. It is thick, so it can be a little clumpy sometimes. However, if you use another wand to separate your lashes and remove clumps, you’ll be golden. I highly recommend.

NARS Audacious by NARS – $26.00 at Sephora

Another expensive one, but this NARS mascara was another sample I got and really liked. This one can be a little flaky, but I really like the brush. It does an awesome job at lengthening and separating lashes, so I often pair it with the Lancôme Hypnôse mascara. Together, they’re an unstoppable duo. On its own, it still is awesome and I recommend this if you have the money for it.

Voluminous False Fiber Lashes by L’Oréal Paris – $6.49 on Amazon

Going to end on a good note here with a way more affordable option. Despite being roughly a fourth of the cost of the mascaras above, this mascara has been one of my go-tos for years. It isn’t the most amazing mascara ever since it is a little dry and flaky, but it does a good job at lengthening lashes with just 1-2 coats. It doesn’t smudge much, and I use it almost every day. I either use it alone on light makeup days, or I use it as my base on full makeup days, layering other mascaras on top. If you’re looking for a decent and cheap option, this is my recommendation.

Junior Biological Sciences major with an Honors concentration and Psychology minor. Photographer and researcher. Just a girl obsessed with Netflix, small animals, plants, and all things Pinterest. littletricksoflight.blogspot.com