This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

I have always been a huge list kind of person. I also love music. All kinds of music. So, it makes sense that I would be a playlist person. And, boy, am I. Problematically. My Spotify is overrun by playlists, and I find myself wanting to create more and more for every single thing. As we shift into Fall, I need a soundtrack to apply to my leggings-and-boots, falling leaves, and pumpkin pie filled life. My official Fall playlist on Spotify is 93 songs and counting, which I understand could be a bit much for some people. Instead, I just chose 20 of my favorites to share with you guys and get you into the autumnal mood. (I’ll also leave a couple links at the end, in case you guys REALLY want more fall hits.)

1.    “Short Skirt/Long Jacket” by Cake

This is the song I play when I’m running late to class. It is impossible to not feel like an absolute badass while marching along to this. It also, coincidentally, describes my ideal fall look: a short skirt and long jacket. (Probably with some stockings, too.)

2. “Linger” by the Cranberries

“Linger” makes me think of leaves falling and tugging aside your scarf to give a kiss goodbye. It’s the song you listen to while sipping wine and lounging next to your lover.

3. “Skinny Love” by Birdy

While I do love fall (and all the seasons, don’t let me front), it is actually a season of death. The leaves look beautiful as they die. This song is sort of sad and makes me think about leaving summer and nature.

4. “Someone New” by Hozier

I think that the fall season in college, especially freshmen year, is filled with people. You meet new people everywhere: the cafeteria, your classes, even walking to the bathroom. “Someone New” makes me think of the excitement of meeting all these people and the excitement of college in general.        

5. “Meet Me in the Middle” by Jessie Ware

Alright, “Meet Me in the Middle” is for hardcore seduction in some badass boots. It is for reuniting with your lover after a long time apart. Take this song. Make out to this song when it gets chilly out. You’re welcome.            

6. “Ex’s and Oh’s” by Elle King

Remember your ex? This song is the ultimate middle finger to your ex. It also feels very “girl power-y.” It’s like “Wanna Be,” but moodier. Elle King also has the voice of a witch queen. Very fall-esque.

7. “Blue” by Marina and the Diamonds

“Blue” is great for when you’re sick of being sad. It is good for break ups, failed quizzes, and when there are no good soups in the Marketplace. Snuggle in bed with your Twisted Mac and listen to this song.

8. “Control” by Halsey

Ok, bear with me here. This song is so badass. It is also kinda spooky for Halloween. I, personally, think I am the coolest when I sing the chorus. Could be just me, but try it out.

9. “Colder Weather” by Zac Brown Band

The weather IS colder. I’m just saying. This song is emotional and reminds me of eating pumpkin pie instead of your feelings. Play it on a rainy day or when your roommate, like mine, finishes Friends.

10. “Sedona” by Houndmouth

This song is very cool. It could be a make-out song, but I really like this song because of the way it feels. It feels like fall and things getting cooler, but it isn’t miserable. They sing about the color neon pink. And I like that.

11. “Sweater Weather” by the Neighborhood

Sweaters are quintessential fall attire. They are, arguably, the best aspect of the fall season. Celebrate them with this song.

12. “Ace in the Hole” by Saint Motel

I may have slipped this in here because I just really enjoy Saint Motel. On the other hand, it has a really fun rhythm that fits the fall season without, again, being miserable.

13. “What You Know” by Two Door Cinema Club

Fall in love with someone. Be worried about telling them. Find out they love you back. Listen to this song. Make out. Play it at your wedding. You’re welcome.

14. “Are You Gonna Be My Girl?” by Jet

This song is very badass in a way similar to “Short Skirt/Long Jacket.” You can rock-out in your tall boots with your knee highs sticking out and ignore all the boys who gape at your majesty as you pass by. Highly recommended.

15. “Keep Your Head Up” by Ben Howard

This recommendation comes straight to you from my lovely roommate. She tends to prefer more, shall we say, emotional songs for fall while I prefer more -you guessed it- badass. This song is for those of you who do want to be sad in fall.

We have now come to the spooky, Halloween part of the playlist. I love all holidays, including Halloween. I play spooky Halloween hits for most of October. (I also watch, like, 60 different Halloween movies, but that is a story for another day, my friends.) Here are some of my favorite spooky Halloween hits to tie into your fall playlist.

16. “The Time Warp” from Rocky Horror Picture Show

Rocky Horror is one of the movies on that very long list that I somehow make my way through in October. “The Time Warp” is my favorite song from that movie. It is catchy, fun, and slightly inappropriate. What’s not to love?

17. “This Is Halloween” by Vitamin String Quartet

Another movie on the list is, obviously, Nightmare Before Christmas. I really enjoy this all strings cover of “This Is Halloween” because it makes it feel spookier to me. Classical music? Dead guys? Spooky.

18. “Ghostbusters” by Ray Parker Jr

Just listen to it. Just do it.

19. “The Monster Mash”

A Halloween classic.

20. “Weird Science” by Oingo Boingo

This one may need a bit of explanation. If you haven’t seen Weird Science, the film, please check it out. This correlative song is, quite frankly, a jam. It is one of the most heavily 80’s songs that I know of. In my book, that it is a great thing. It may not be for everyone, though.

My actual playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/user/rachel4136/playlist/3NRhFTwd9NuVxvjyYBCKtK

My Spotify, for various OTHER playlists:

https://open.spotify.com/user/rachel4136

Rachel is a senior English and Writing Arts double major at Rowan University. She also has minors in Women's & Gender Studies and Creative Writing along with concentrations in Publishing & New Media and Honors. She is the Senior Editor of Avant Literary Magazine as well as being in charge of the Her Campus chapter at her school. Rachel works as both a tour guide and a writing tutor on campus. She is big fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but not the patriarchy.               
I am a Writing Arts major at Rowan University. Poetry is my best friend. One day, I hope to be a successful writer for a popular magazine in NYC. My dream is to travel to Paris, London, and Rome to explore and write about my experiences there.