7 Philly must-see attractions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Growing up in Central Jersey (yes, it does exist!), I have always been in love with NYC. It is my city, where I dream to walk its streets as a successful writer someday. Now, living at Rowan in South Jersey, I am becoming more familiar with Philly, a beautiful and historical city that is only about twenty minutes away from school!

There are multiple ways to get to Philly from Rowan; you could drive, take the train, or take a bus/shuttle. The ride is short and inexpensive. So dress to impress, grab some friends or your significant other, and check out this list of favorite Philly attractions (brought to you by Rowan students themselves!)

( photo by Lauren Wechsler) 

1.      Penn’s Landing Sign (101 Columbus Boulevard)

“Standing underneath it at night when the lights are on is just beautiful. You see the bridge and the water, and it’s just breathtaking.” –Lauren Wechsler

This attraction is charming, offering a bit of serenity to the busy city-life.

2.      Pat’s King of Steaks (1237 E. Passyunk Avenue) and Geno’s Cheesesteaks (1219 S. 9th Street)

“I love to eat, and Philly is known for its cheesesteaks.” –Rich Hoffman

“Doesn’t matter what you’re in Philly for, it’s a necessity to grab a cheesesteak; they are heaven.”-Ryan Hagerty

These two cheesesteak places are within short steps of each other! If you want quality cheesesteaks, they both are must-haves.

3.      First Friday (230 Vine Street and locations throughout Old City)

“It’s free art and wine and cheese and great company!” –Erin Maglietta

Can it get any better than that, really? Try it out, the first Friday of every month from 5-9pm!

4.      Tin Angel (20 S. 2nd Street)

“It’s a really neat venue…Typically, musicians come to play intimate showcases for their audiences, and the place is cozy with comfortable lighting and seating. I performed there earlier this year, and I’m actually performing there again on (November) 20th. There’s a restaurant downstairs (the venue is on the second floor) so you can grab a bite before seeing your favorite artists perform.” –Sofia Nicole Khorosh

Check out who is performing next and discover some awesome stars!

5.      Old City (Vine Street to Walnut Street north to south, 7th Street to the Delaware River east to west)

“There’s a lot of quaint, cute restaurants and little shops that are just so cute. I love just walking around old city and seeing the different people and things going on.” –Jenna Filippoli

Old city is definitely one of the nicest areas of Philly, providing many forms of amusement and romance. Plan an afternoon in Old City with your significant other!

6.      The Franklin Fountain (116 Market Street)

“It literally is an old time ice cream parlor from the 20s where they make all of these ice cream sodas, and the people dress like they’re from that era and have a bunch of memorabilia from back then. Ice cream is ice cream, but you go for the experience…”-Jenna Filippoli.

This attraction is fitting for anyone who has a sweet tooth—or anyone who is in love with the enchantment of the 20s! Treat your family to some unique ice cream flavors!

7.      Chinatown (Vine St. on the north and Arch St. on the south, 8th St. on the east and 11th St. on the west)

Personally, this is one of my favorite places in Philly. It is lively and exciting, lined with tons of interesting restaurants and teashops. I am all for adventure, and this is one of the first places that I was introduced to in Philly. I saw one of my favorite country bands at Chinatown’s Trocadero Theatre, located on Arch Street, for a great price! The venue is small and casual; I could’ve touched the stage—I was that close! After the show, my boyfriend and I walked around sipping drinks from our favorite teashop, just around the corner from the theatre! It was a magical night.

Having a night out in Chinatown is the perfect way to experiment with new foods and drinks! Call up some friends and head on over!

* most photos from visitphilly.com

I am a Writing Arts major at Rowan University. Poetry is my best friend. One day, I hope to be a successful writer for a popular magazine in NYC. My dream is to travel to Paris, London, and Rome to explore and write about my experiences there.