Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Ways to Love Yourself This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Every year like clockwork, Valentine’s Day rolls around reminding us singles just how single we are.  As if we didn’t already know, this holiday reminds us of all the hearts, chocolates, flowers, and sex that we probably won’t be getting. This year, instead of whining about the lack of “love” you’re receiving this year, why not direct all of it towards yourself? 

Take Yourself On A Date

It may sound corny, but bear with me. Why sit around miserable about not going out when you can take yourself out, and spend some quality time with yourself? Whether you go to a movie, go to your favorite restaurant, or grab takeout, wine, and watch a movie inside, treating yourself to some “me” time is the epitome of self-love.  Being comfortable enough to find solace within yourself shows true strength, power, and confidence, and that’s always worth celebrating.

Buy Yourself A Gift

Flowers, chocolates, and jewelry are the epitome of this holiday.  This, however, leads to the misconception that these items can only be gifted from someone else.  If you love bouquets of flowers, buy a set for yourself.  If you love the fancy candies that only appear during special holidays, buy them yourself.  If you’ve been eyeing that new Pandora charm, buy it yourself. The moment we stop waiting for others to give us gifts that can be easily given to ourselves, we take control, and change the game!

Hang Out with Friends

Galantines Day has risen to prominence after girls became fed up associating the holiday with just dating.  Valentine’s Day is a day dedicated to love, and it doesn’t just have to be romantic. Whether you are spreading platonic love, family love, or anything else between, let Valentine’s Day remain a holiday dedicated to celebrating and appreciating one another.  Grab a couple girlfriends and go to brunch, grab a movie, or have a sleepover.  Share a bottle of wine, and spend your Valentine’s Day wine drunk with your best friends, laughing at the fact you ever were upset spending it alone.

Masturbate

This Valentine’s Day, instead of whining over the lack of sex you may be getting, try making love to yourself. This is a pretty literal gesture of self-love. Since we are all about gifting yourself, go to a sex shop and treat yourself to a new toy. Then, grab your toy, or your fingers, and get to know yourself, what you like, and don’t like.  Switch it up as well and try different locations (private of course), different music, or maybe watch a spicy movie. It’s proven that women who masturbate also have better sex lives so give it a try!

Affirmations

Look in the mirror and confidently tell yourself, “You’re Beautiful, You’re A Queen, and I Love You.” Say it over and over and over again until you mean it, believe it, and feel it. Direct all the love flowing inside of you to yourself, and watch how it radiates throughout.  

Treat yourself, treat someone else, tell someone they are loved, and tell yourself that you are loved.

Let’s let Valentine’s Day remain sweet.