5 Essential Tips For Applying To Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

When going to college, many students think of the different opportunities they can make in college. For example, students think it is an amazing opportunity to study abroad. Being that Melissa decided to study abroad, the two of us have been on a journey through the applying process. We thought it would be helpful to think of 5 essential tips while applying to study abroad.

1.      DON’T WAIT– Start the application process as soon as you decide you want to study abroad! There are so many different forms and dues you have to fill out/pay. If you are thinking of studying abroad in the spring (like Melissa decided), she started her application process in the summer, since it was due in October.

2.      Meet with an advisor ASAP– Once you decide you want to study abroad, you should immediately contact the study abroad office. They can help you narrow down what countries you might want to study abroad in. Depending on your major, some countries are better to study in than others.

3.      Not all classes will transfer– A lot of students are under the impression that all the classes in the partnering school’s credits are going to transfer to Rowan, but that is not always the case.  This is another reason it is very helpful to meet with your advisor and figure out what classes would be smartest to take.  Make sure to print out the courses you may choose from for your advisor. 

4.      Expenses- Students may be under the impression that you wait until you are accepted to make all payments.  This is only true for things like the airfare, the housing etc.  You will have to put deposits down and there are application fees as well.  They are usually around $200, so take that into consideration!

5.      You’re in it 100%– Make sure studying abroad is something you 100% you want to do. There is a lot of time, effort, and money that will go into the applying process. Think hard and long whether or not studying abroad is something you definitely want to do.  Perhaps if you aren’t ready to go away for a whole semester, you could consider doing a few weeks in the summer.

We hope this tips will help anyone who decides to take the amazing opportunity to study abroad! Good luck!

My name is Sami Goldin! I am an elementary education/literacy studies major! I hope to be a kindergarten teacher and make an impact on my students' lives! :)
My names Melissa Heath, I'm a second semester soph. here at Rowan where I transferred from Coastal Carolina last year. I have always loved fashion and writing so Her Campus is an awesome way for me to combine those things in the Fashion section! I look forward to any feedback from fellow Rowan readers so feel free to let me know what you think or want to see in the following week's article.