Why We Love the University of Rochester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Why We Love The University of Rochester

College decision day (aka the day when every high school senior gets decked out in their school’s apparel) is right around the corner, so naturally it’s the best time to brag about the UofR and convince prospective students to join our Rochester family. 

Reason #1: The size (~6,177 undergrads)

I knew when I was applying to colleges that I wouldn’t be able to handle the social scene at a big school, and originally thought that 6,000 undergrads might be a little too big (I know, crazy).  After months to adjust and settle in with a group of friends, I couldn’t be happier with the size.  You can’t go a day here without seeing a familiar face, and while this does have its disadvantages, it’s comforting to look around and see people you know.

Reason #2:  The campus

College students like to brag about their school’s campus, but there’s honestly nothing out there that compares to Rochester.  Rush Rhees library towers over the academic quad and it’s easily the most recognizable landmark on campus.  Our academic quad has the typical collegiate look, and the science/research buildings are state of the art. 

Reason #3: Greek life

Roughly 20% of students on campus are involved in a Greek organization, and going through recruitment was one of the best decisions I’ve made here.  Greek life is so much fun, and through it I’ve made so many new friends.

Reason #4: Academic and Research Opportunities

Rochester is one of the country’s leading research institutions.  Every professor on campus is involved in individual projects and is always looking for more student help.  I don’t think I really have to say much more.        

Reason #5: The Academic Freedom

Rochester’s cluster system requires that you take three classes in three disciplines: natural sciences, social sciences and the humanities.  With that being said, unless your major requires something or has a series of pre-requisite classes, you don’t have to take a single course that you don’t want to.  

Jessica is currently a freshman at the University of Rochester studying Business.  In her spare time you can find her working out, hanging out with her best friends and reading fashion blogs. Jessica is obsessed with pop culture, food and nail polish.  You can follow her on Instagram @jessptbaum.