absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Danforth Should be Open on Weekends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

As the weather gets cooler and our layers get thicker, everyone on campus has been looking for ways to stay inside as much as possible. One of the things complicating that is the fact that Danforth Dining Hall, better known as Dfo, is not open on the weekends! This makes it harder for students to avoid the brutal Rochester cold because they are forced to trek across campus to Douglass Dining Hall for any form of food!

Read on for the reasons why dfo should definitely be open on the weekends…

It’s more convenient

In terms of convenience, Danforth is the best bet for a large portion of on campus students on the weekends. Over 600 Freshmen live in Susan B. Anthony Hall, where Danforth is housed, as well as all of the RA’s, D’Lions, and Freshmen Fellows. Behind Sue B are Wilder, O’Brien and Anderson towers, housing hundreds of upperclassmen who literally have to pass through Sue B to get to Douglass. The majority of on campus students live in close proximity to Danforth, while no students live in close proximity to Douglass, as it is adjacent to the academic quad. This makes Douglass a perfect weekday option, but not exactly ideal for days without class.

Nobody goes during the week

When going from class to class during the week, it is much easier to stay on the academic quad (and in the tunnels!) for lunch. Even if the food is better, Douglass and/or grab and go is just more convenient than going all the way to Danforth for a quick lunch break. Most students do not have the time to go from their classes to Sue B and back during their brief lunch break. However, most students would prefer to go to Danforth over Douglass on the weekends, since it is much closer to where they live.

It is simply unfair to ED students who chose sue b after being promised brunch in their pjs

On tours, online, and in talking to upperclassmen, everyone claimed that Sue B was the best bet for Freshman housing because of the easy access to Danforth Dining Hall. Promised the luxury of “rolling out of bed and grabbing food” and “sunday brunch in PJs,” it is disappointing to say the least for students who had the choice of where to live, especially since the quad dorms are significantly larger, and closer to the academic quad.

Save money – keep it open on weekends and limit weekday hours

Let’s not forget the fact that limiting weekday hours of Danforth and opening it on the weekend will save money for the school! Danforth is never crowded during the week, and the staff is still paid to make the same amount of food. This means that the University is spending excess money on food which could be spent on things like research, scholarships, programming, etc. Not to mention the insane amount of food that is going to waste every day in Danforth! Danforth should be open on weeknights for dinner and on Weekends for brunch and dinner!

Too many people are at douglass on weekends!

With Douglass being the only dining hall open on weekends, it gets ridiculously packed. A large portion of students, specifically the entire Freshman class as well as many Sophomores and Juniors, live on campus, and therefore are required to have a meal plan. This means that Douglass has to support all of these students on weekends, and with a student body of over five-thousand people, that just isn’t possible. This results in long lines, no tables, and running the risk of using a meal swipe just to see that there’s no food left.

So, administration, student leaders, class council representatives, SA senators, I urge you to push for the reopening of Danforth on weekends. Restore order on our campus, and allow us to eat our pancakes in our pajamas. 

My life motto is that if mint chocolate chip ice cream can't fix it, you're screwed.