What You Need to Know About the Top 4 Presidential Candidates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

The 2016 Presidential Election is drawing steadily closer, while many of us who have never voted before are wondering: who is the right person for the job?

The chaotic media coverage and contradictory propaganda can sometimes distract us from thinking about what we should do with this newfound ability to help choose the next leader of the United States. This brief overview of the most popular candidates can be your starting point for discovering who you want to vote for this November! Here are the most popular Democratic and Republican candidates’ views on the most pressing issues. 

College Tuition and Debt

College tuition is something that many of us try to not think about, as the costs and interest rates can be exponentially high. Here is where the top four candidates stand:

Clinton: Pell recipients will be able to use their grants fully for living expenses, students at community college will receive free tuition. Lowe loan interest rates for students.

Sanders: Free tuition at public colleges, lower student loan interest rates, require public colleges and universities to meet 100% of the financial needs of the lowest-income students.

Cruz: Voted “Nay” to Bank on Students Emergency Loan Refinancing Act (lowering student loan interest rates).

Trump: No specific plan found, but remarked that federal student loans are one of the “only things the government shouldn’t make money off.”

Immigration

The Syrian refugee crisis has faded from being in headline news, but it is a subject of deep emotion and morality no matter where you stand. This is what these candidates believe:

Clinton: “America needs comprehensive immigration reform with a pathway to citizenship.” -Clinton. She plans to “fight for comprehensive immigration reform legislation with a path to full and equal citizenship,” defend DACA and DAPA against partisan attacks, and protect families.

Sanders: “We cannot and must not shirk the historic role of the United States as a protector of vulnerable people fleeing persecution.”-Sanders. Has come up with “A Fair and Humane Immigration Policy.”

Cruz: “He will stop illegal immigration. He will build a wall that works, triple border security, and put in place the surveillance and biometric tracking to secure the border. Ted Cruz will end Obama’s amnesty on day one, will end catch-and-release, increase deportations, stop sanctuary policies, and strengthen E-verify.”

Trump: “We are the only country in the world whose immigration system puts the needs of other nations ahead of our own. That must change.” -Trump. Plans to build a wall across the southern border, make Mexico pay for the wall, triple the number of ICE officers, nationwide e-verify, “mandatory return of all criminal aliens”, defund sanctuary sites, end birthright citizenship, “requirement to hire American workers first.”

Gun Control

Whether you want the Second Amendment to be protected, or you feel that guns should be banned altogether, the gun debate is equally important as it is controversial. What does your favorite candidate think about guns?

Clinton: Voted for background checks and expanding legislation on the assault weapons ban.

Sanders: Voted for background checks and banning semiautomatics.

Cruz: Opposed legislation to restrict second amendment, supported interstate firearms sales.

Trump: Opposed to restricting any type of firearms, believes background checks are not helping.

LGBTQI rights

Anyone in the LGBTQI community, as well as anyone who is an ally, knows the importance of this issue. Specific beliefs were difficult to track down for some candidates, but here is the gist of where these candidates stand on the topic:

Clinton: Pro LGBTQ rights and marriage.

Sanders:  Pro LGBTQ rights and marriage.

Cruz: Opposed to LGBTQ rights and marriage. Stood with Kim Davis.

Trump: Unclear on rights, opposed to LGBTQ marriage.

Women’s Rights

We all know how necessary reforms in women’s rights are. There is much more surrounding the issue of women’s rights than these subjects, but when it comes to abortion, Planned Parenthood, paid family leave, and the Paycheck Fairness Act, opinions on women’s rights are all varied in the candidates:

Clinton: Pro-choice, plans to expand Planned Parenthood, supports paid family leave, supports Paycheck Fairness Act.

Sanders: Pro-choice, plans to expand Planned Parenthood, supports paid family leave, supports Paycheck Fairness Act.

Cruz: Pro-life, plans to defund Planned Parenthood, opposes paid family leave, opposes Paycheck Fairness Act.

Trump: Pro-life with exceptions (rape, incest, mother’s life in danger), supports Planned Parenthood with exception to their abortions, unclear stance on paid family leave, no statement of Paycheck Fairness Act.

There is obviously much more to these candidates’ campaigns than these broad topics, but it’s good to get to the basics of what we want from our future president. Make sure to do your own research about what topic is most important to you! For more in-depth information, you can visit the candidates’ websites: 

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/

https://berniesanders.com/issues/

https://www.tedcruz.org/issues/

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/position/

For a full listing of candidates to research (not those who are merely polling better than others) click here!

Caitlin is a sophomore from Syracuse, NY. She is double majoring in Psychology and English with a concentration in Language, Media, and Communications at the University of Rochester. She is the Publicity Chair of UR Celtic, has acted as both Social Media Manager and Business Manager of Her Campus, is an active member of the Inter-Class Living Community, and enjoys working as a Writing Fellow. When she's not busy with extracurricular activities or schoolwork, Caitlin can be found working at the Campus Mail Center, reading, and spending too much money at Starbucks.