Student Style Feature: Franchesca “Franny” Pamoukian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Hometown: Whittier, CA

Class Year: Junior

Major:  Business (Marketing)

Minors: Studio Art & Psychology

Fun Fact: Never wore jeans before high school

Franny Pamoukian is our Student Style Feature of the week. She recently attended Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in NYC and has interned for some top stylists and companies. She plans to make fashion her career, and shared with me a bit about her own style and experiences.

HC: Tell me about your personal style.

Franny: My style is inconsistent really. I dress according to my mood and inspiration—though 90% of the time my mood is “relaxed boho girl in an urban setting.” However one day I may feel like a Harley Davidson chick and rock a vintage tee with leather and lipstick (*insert Black Keys music here*) or one day I may feel like Mrs. Gatsby and throw on lavish hats and big jewels. I believe everyone’s style is different; it’s like DNA. The key to my style is quality, fabric, and structure. I look for pieces that can last and that I can do a lot with. Overall, I would best describe my style as “Franny-like.”

HC: What kind of work have you done in the fashion industry?

Franny: I have loved fashion since I was little, having runway shows, designing my own jewelry, and making magazines out of construction paper, but it wasn’t until this past summer that I began to take my passion and get some real world experience. I moved to NYC for 8 months and first started interning with a fashion showroom, where I assisted my supervisor with buyers and trade shows. I took a retail job at Anthropologie because I had to pay rent somehow, and Anthropologie is a place that I can call my second home. After my first fashion internship, I helped out at Couture Fashion Week doing promotional advertising. But it wasn’t until May of this year that I had the privilege of interning with Nicole Miller. It was during that short, month-long internship that I did everything. I went to trade shows, helped with photoshoots, met big-time buyers from Saks and Bloomingdales, merchandised, helped the VP of marketing and sales, and just a week ago I helped out at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week, every fashionista’s dream. After Nicole Miller, I interned for 3 months with legendary stylist Patricia Field where I did a lot of styling, merchandising and blogging and also got to see what it takes to run a successful fashion business. So yeah, I did a LOT these past 8 months to build up my experience, but I am not stopping till I meet Ana Wintour!

HC: How would you describe U of R campus style?

Franny: East coast prep with comfort.

HC: What is your favorite fall accessory?

Franny: Leather jacket.

Franny is also an active fashion blogger. You can follow her blog Dress Up Your Mind here:http://dressupurmind.blogspot.com/

Nikki Fox

Rochester

Nikki Fox is a Film & Media Studies and Spanish double major at the University of Rochester.