This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

It seems as though prior to just a few years ago, those who fell outside of the medical field – perhaps even all those who fell outside of the field of gastroenterology – had no idea what gluten was, if they had ever even heard of the term. According to WebMD, “Gluten refers to proteins occurring naturally in wheat, rye, barley and cross-bred hybrids of these grains.” Gluten is responsible for the flakey elasticity of breads, pastas, cereals, cookies, cakes, and many other simple carbohydrate rich delicacies.

Today however, the Gluten-Free Certification Organization (GFCO) has gotten their hands – and their labels – on many products that line supermarket shelves. Sufferers of Celiac Disease and general gluten insensitivities, as well as women who simply claim to feel better when gluten is absent from their diets, or take the leap of faith to the trending gluten-free weight loss plan, are jumping on the gluten-free bandwagon. In fact, gluten-free sales reached more than $2.6 billion by the end of 2010 and are now expected to exceed more than $5 billion by 2015 (Packaged Foods, 2011).

Perhaps the skyrocketing numbers of gluten-free individuals is partially due to the fact that maintaining a gluten-free diet has become so easy. Women may still enjoy the foods that they love while abstaining from gluten. Popular brands such as Udi’s and Glutino use substitutes such as rice or corn flour to mimic the texture of wheat-made products, while general brands that are famous for the gluten-containing foods, like Betty Crocker and Amy’s, make many of their products in gluten-free form, using similar substitutes. Of course naturally occurring gluten-free foods are always safe and available, such as fresh vegetables and fruit, as well as chocolate (usually…check the label), salads (sans crutons), sushi, and many protein-heavy foods, like meats, poultry, chicken, eggs, and tofu. Of course, any processed foods or foods that have been tampered with should be verified as gluten-free prior to consumption. Though personally recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease (and a foodie since I can remember), I have not let my body’s inability to metabolize gluten hinder my ability to enjoy my favorite foods. I often sit down to a bowl of fettuccini alfredo, prepared with gluten-free sauce and rice noodles, or to a slice of cake, baked with rice flour. Perhaps try going gluten-free for a month – the maintenance is easy and the results may be life-changing. 

Hi I'm Rachel! I am a freshman at the University of Rochester pursuing a double major in Health Policy and Business and a minor in Journalism. My interest in writing has led me to write and edit for both my high school's and college's newspaper. I also enjoy playing tennis, listening to music, and reading. I am excited to share my interesting encounters and thoughts through Her Campus.