Relay for Life Across the Country (and How to Get Involved!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

This year alone, Relay for Life will have events across the country and across the world at thousands of high schools, colleges, and, communities. Here are some of the events Relay will have this year and how you can get involved past Rochester’s Relay for Life!

1. Relay Recess/Field Day

Relay holds events for kids where the American Cancer Society will come into classrooms and teach the kids about healthy living and preventative measures they can take against cancer. Even better, they help empower the kids and teach them how to be advocates for their own bodies and own health!

**How you can get involved: Donate to a elementary school in your area or contact the American Cancer Society to bring a program like this into a school, library, or community center in your area.

2. High School Programs

High School Relay Programs work in the same basic way as the one we have at Rochester on a smaller level. These events are great in the high school students can get really involved and get lots of experience with community service (and get the hours they need for their transcripts and college applications, lol).

**How you can get involved: Encourage your high school at home to plan a program like this one!  

3. Global Programs

Along with programs for students such as us, Relay for Life plans tons of other global programs, including walks, discussion, and support for those with cancer. However, one event I find particularly AMAZING is the event called Bark for Life, which is a one-mile walk event that honors the dogs of those who have cancer. As we all know, dogs are the ultimate bae. This event is so great in that it empowers people who have cancer but maybe don’t have family to come and be honored at a Relay event. Plus, people dress up their dogs.

4. Virtual Programs

Relay has gone viral. Relay hold events in totally 3D virtual worlds, using websites like Second Life and InWorldz. Over 15 million people around the globe use this virtual world to form teams, build campsites, and walk, just like in the Relay for Life event we have at UR! Since this virtual programs began in 2005, more than $2 million have been raised! This is such an amazing use of technology!!

**How you can get involved: This might be a fun way to incorporate more people (including the community of Rochester) in Relay for next year at UR. Meliora, right?!

My name is Madeline and I am freshman at the University of Rochester. I row on the crew team and am planning on a double major in neuroscience and women's studies on a pre-med track. I am also involved with the Eco-Reps on campus and I love to read and play the piano.
Franny Pamoukian is a senior at the University of Rochester double majoring in Business and Psychology with a minor in Studio Arts. A city girl at heart, she is an active blogger, fashionista and art enthusiast.