The Reality of Going to Campus in a Snowy City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Ahh its that time of year again. The snow and the cold are among us, and we must face the reality as winter slaps us in the face in its quick gusts of wind. The snow makes you never want to leave your dorm ever again because who wants to walk outside in the thick wintry mix where the cold attacks and holds you back from your destination. Who wants to walk slowly, trying to avoid slipping on the ice, in the freezing cold weather? But its just how the world works. It’s inevitable and the snow is going to come eventually. However, that doesn’t mean those residents exerienced in snowy weather will always accept it. And it does not always mean that the snow will go the way it planned for the “new to living in snow” newbies. 

1. Here’s what the snowy newbies do despite the tales of the harsh snowy winters they’ve been told by those experienced with the snow. I mean they tried… that’s all they can do, and those who have never experienced snow, or at least not much of it, must come to the realization in their own time.

Here’s what those who are experienced with living in snow do when it first begins to get cold outside.They know the reality of what the snow will bring to campus. They are probably dreading that 10 minute walk through the snow because let’s face it – we don’t get snow days that easily here in Rochester.

2. The first snow has finally arrived! The soft smushy texture is all around with new fresh sparkly layers and some of it is already brown…or yellow.

Here’s what the snow newbies do:

Here’s what those used to the weather do during the first five minutes:

And from then on:

Because we all know there’s no point to the snow unless we get a snow day so we don’t have to walk in it or unless it’s Christmas. 

3. When you’re walking to class and realize that you haven’t slipped in the snow at all this winter and think hmm maybe I can keep it up. And then it happens…

Whoops.. maybe not..

4. When the news broadcasts a new winter storm, that’s expected to bring the lake effect snow accumulations of 3-6 feet of snow, the anticipation builds and its suddenly a page turner. What will be the outcome the next morning? 

Here’s what everyone wants to do:

Here’s what everyone should do:

Here’s what you wanted to happen:

Here’s what actually happens:

Umm… where’s the snow? Because even those snow locals still have a slither of hope everytime a storm is predicted because they know its possible to happen, even though you need more than 3 inches for a snow day. 

5. Then when the snow does not accumulate to the level necessary, here is the look on your face when you realize you still have to roll out of bed and walk to class. 

6.And when it finally snows the large amounts, but still not enough to get a snow day..

Here’s the snow newbies :

Meanwhile here’s the experienced:

But on those days when the snow or even the cold gets you a class cancellation:

For you snow-experienced folks, you’ll get through the semester of snow. Before you know it, it will be winter break anyway. For you snow newbies, good luck survivng in the snow! Stay warm and strong out there! 

Alonni Reid, is currently a freshman at University of Rochester, She indends to double major in American Sign Language and Psychology. She became interested in journalism during her sophomore year of high school when she began writing as a correspondant for The Buffalo News. Upon her completion of the Her Campus Ambassador Program this past summer, she decided to join the Her Campus College Chapter at UR. .