This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Ranking of the Best Coffee on Campus

Coffee. Java. Cup of joe. Literal life. Whether you drink coffee as a necessity or you’re like me and you drink it simply for joy, it is a huge part of the college experience! Even when I go on vacation, I need to know where the best coffee is and how I can get to it. College was no different for me. In my humble but well tested opinion, here are my favorite places to get coffee on campus.

5. Starbucks

A classic, but not the first on my list. While Starbucks is always consistent and fun with all their new flavors, it is a little pricey for someone whose low on declining (like me!). However, it’s hard to beat the convenience of Starbucks. Going there also gives me the chance to see all the cool events that are always happening in Wilson Commons.

4. Dining Hall Coffee

Alright, alright, I know what you are thinking….but hear me out! While dining hall coffee is usually pretty watery and can be cold if you go during peak hours, I have always found the coffee to be tasty (albeit weak). However, for people with meal swipes (I’m looking at you, freshman), dining hall coffee is where it’s at – especially if you look out for when they change the carafes.

3. Free Carlson Coffee

Okay, this one is on the list because of the first word…it’s free. Yes, the coffee is not the best, but when you are studying late into the night for a chem exam or writing a final paper, it is heavenly. Enough said.

2. Pura Vida

Oh Pura Vida, how I love you! The coffee at this coffee shop (located in Goergen Hall) is quite good, and they also have a bunch of tasty treats – including some yummy vegan cookies-  to hold you over during class. The only problem with Pura Vida is that the line can be really long at some points during the day (aka right before classes) and their use of Tapingo is not the best so you might have to wait. But it is worth it.   

1. Buzz (Located in the Simon School of Business)

My favorite is actually a new find. When walking by the Simon Business School at the beginning of this year, I saw a sign for a new coffee shop, located on the first floor of the building. Intrigued, my boyfriend and I tried it out – and it was honestly amazing. The coffee they use is from a local brand, Finger Lakes Roasters, and it is just simple good coffee. In addition, they have a wide variety of great drinks made by people who know what they are doing. They also serve great soups along with other snacks. The only minor issue with Buzz is that it is a little difficult to find. You have to go down the spiral staircase in the middle of the building; then, go into what looks like a lounge at the bottom of the stairs. If you can’t find it, hit your girl up and I’ll help you out.

So there you go, my list of lists. Here’s to staying caffeinated and happy this semester!

My name is Madeline and I am freshman at the University of Rochester. I row on the crew team and am planning on a double major in neuroscience and women's studies on a pre-med track. I am also involved with the Eco-Reps on campus and I love to read and play the piano.