How Often Should You Change Your Sheets?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Changing your sheets is a pain. It’s at least a 15 minute ordeal that involves sweating, swearing, and at least 20 minutes wondering why your sheets won’t stretch all the way to the end of your bed. Especially for someone like me who has next to no upper arm strength, lifting up my mattress to get the bottom sheet on is a workout onto itself. However, after an extensive Google search and consequently becoming very grossed out, I think I may have to start changing my sheets more often. 

Generally, if you’re a relatively clean person, you only need to change your sheets once every two weeks/10 days. But if you go to bed without showering or sweat a lot in your sleep you might want to raise it to every week. And honestly, unless you’re like me and like to keep your room at a nice 40 degrees, you’re going to sweat at night. 

At night your body lets go of hair, dead skin, oils and bacteria while we toss and turn. Even though your sheets might still look clean, they definitely aren’t after a week. Especially if you have a boy sleep over. 

Something that was surprising to me is that you should change your pillowcase a few times a week. Your face and hair secrete more oil than the rest of your body combined. This grime gets transferred to your face every time you go to bed. Because of this, your pillowcase could be the cause of your breakouts! I’d recommend changing your pillowcase fairly often.