How to Get Creative for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Last night marked the last Halloween bar party I will attend at Rochester, and it was bittersweet for a number of reasons. Not amongst them was the fact that it felt like it was below zero degrees outside while we waited for the bus home, but other than that I got very emotional. Halloween is the only holiday we’re allowed to take outfits we’ve worn for crazy mixer themes and make them even crazier, sluttier, or both. There were definitely some hits, and then some misses, in the costume department last night. Because I’m looking out for you here, I’ve decided to put together a few suggestions of outfits you could put wear for the rest of Halloweekend. Check out the list below.

1.  A Toddler’s and Tiaras brat. We’ve all seen the TV show and marveled at the beauty, grace, and poise of these “prostitots.” As a means of emulating their amazingness (in my opinion), I highly suggest dressing up as one of them for Halloween this year. All you need is really bad, fake tan, white kitten heels, and an overtly puffy tutu dress. Go get your hair done at the local salon in the ward and you’re ready to go.
2.  A Harajuku girl. Last night, one of the best costumes I saw out was a pair of Harajuku girls. For those not familiar, these are Gwen Stefani’s Japanese singers/dancers/groupies. All you need is a ton of blush on your cheeks, punk-rock outfits, and a crazy hairstyle. Done.
3.  Sookie Stackhouse. True Blood has been around for a while now, and this idea may seem contrived, but it’s definitely still a sexy and relevant idea. Grab a green apron, dye your hair bright blonde, and become a fairy (as I’m pretty sure that’s what we’re to believe Sookie is now?). Adopt a Southern accent for added effect.

4.  Beanie Babies. Another example of an outfit I saw last night that was adorable. It allows a lot of room for creativity and the ability to do it with one or more people. Each of you is a different animal (duh, unless you’ve never heard of a beanie baby before in which case I’m mourning for your lost childhood) and you tie a huge red heart around your neck that reads ‘TY.‘  

Hilary Rosenthal is a senior International Relations major and minor in Journalism at the University of Rochester. Hilary recently returned from a semester abroad in Barcelona, Spain and is excited to return to campus. She is a a varsity lacrosse player, Vice President of Panhellenic Conduct, a writer for Athletic Communications and a writer for the Campus Times. She hails from Loudonville, New York and loves skiing, fashion, exploring music, hot yoga, ice cream and fro- yo, traveling, cooking, nail polish and a great book. Although most of her experience is in the political field, she is extremely excited to work on and start a Her Campus branch at the University of Rochester.