This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

1. Handwrite your notes. Even if you’ve been typing your notes in class all semester there’s still time to handwrite the important stuff highlighted in slides, or in your study guide if one is provided. 

2. Give yourself lots of study breaks. It’s easier to study when you know you’ll get an immediate reward afterwards, and you’re more likely to retain information if it’s presented in small chunks. Set a timer when you’re taking breaks though, because you don’t want to be spending more time on breaks than on studying. 

3. Avoid music and other distractions. Even though you made an awesome study playlist, it’s actually counterintuitive to your goal. Your brain can only take in so much information at once and you don’t want to be focusing on the music rather than your studies. 

4. If possible, study in the room you’ll be taking your test in. It’s easier to recall information that is learned while in the same room. This is also true for regular class days; make sure that you sit in the same seat every day if possible, and sit in that spot for the exam as well. 

5. Be excited for the test! Being excited is actually better for you than being nervous, or being apathetic about it. So while you’re getting ready for your test and while you’re taking it, just remind yourself of how much you prepared and how awesome it’s going to feel when you ace it! 

Bailey is a sophomore at the University of Rochester in New York. She plans on double majoring in Psychology and Anthropology. On campus Bailey is a part of many clubs including Grassroots, UR Equestrian Team, Undergrad Psychology Counsel, and UR Photography Club.