Gay Best Friend Stephan: Winter Fashion Survival Tips!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Hello ladies! Stephan here for tips on how to survive the winter while still looking fabulous! First and foremost, let’s talk leggings, the foundation for any and all winter outfits. I don’t care if you prefer your classic black leggings or if you’re more of a Jeggings kind of gal, but boots without leggings is like “Keeping Up With The Kardashians” without Kim. So, now that we got that covered (you know that was just a formality anyway,) let’s move on to boots.

Boots, boots, boots, boots, BOOTS! Your only excuse for not wearing boots this season is if you’re one of those girls that wears gym shoes just in case “you FINALLY have time to go to the gym today.” (P.S. you won’t.) But in the more likely case, you’re going to be going with boots. So, you can follow the crowd and just wear your Uggs (I know almost all of you are wearing them right now anyway), but just because everyone’s doing it doesn’t mean it’s the right choice (take Katy Perry doing Proactiv commercials… talk about tacky!) Anyway, if there is any snow visible at all, drop the Uggs. Girls, you know they’re gonna get those damn salt stains on them after just wearing them a week, and then they’re gonna get soaked after the first step you take in snow anyway (apparently Australians didn’t realize that snow makes things wet). So, if you see snow on the ground, go with your Hunter Boots. That means all you have to do on a snowy day is match your Hunter liners with whatever fierce ensemble you’re wearing. How easy is that?

Ok, next! Another safe choice this winter is Riding Boots. Not only will they keep your feet nice and dry in the snow, they also make you look, dare I say, fabulous? I love this style because it says, “I might go grab my horse and ride to class, but I also might just be waiting for my Ralph Lauren photo shoot.” They’re chic, sexy, and stylish, but there is one more boot that might just be my favorite this season, which leads me to my first FASHION ALERT!

Attention ladies! Frye boots are making a comeback! Oh yes, and they are here in a BIG way! What was all the rage back in the 70’s is now back with a vengeance. Everyone from Anne Hathaway to Miley Cyrus is wearing these bad boys around town and I LOVE them. They’re elegant yet dangerous and I think they are just sexy as hell, grrrr. So if you have ANY sense of style and a SHRED of dignity, you will go out and buy a pair immediately (did I mention that I own stock in Frye Co. Just kidding b-tches!).

Well, so there you go my lovelies, Stephan’s first fashion tips! Now, just to recap; use Uggs with caution, Hunters if there is a ton of snow, Riding Boots if there is snow but you “just don’t give a damn,” and Frye’s for any weather (say no to fries, but YES to Fryes!!). So that’s all for me, I’ll see you next week, or probably this weekend. (I’ll be the head bobbing for apples in the bathroom of the Drama House… Oh, I’m so bad!!!)

Hilary Rosenthal is a senior International Relations major and minor in Journalism at the University of Rochester. Hilary recently returned from a semester abroad in Barcelona, Spain and is excited to return to campus. She is a a varsity lacrosse player, Vice President of Panhellenic Conduct, a writer for Athletic Communications and a writer for the Campus Times. She hails from Loudonville, New York and loves skiing, fashion, exploring music, hot yoga, ice cream and fro- yo, traveling, cooking, nail polish and a great book. Although most of her experience is in the political field, she is extremely excited to work on and start a Her Campus branch at the University of Rochester.