Female Entrepreneurs Who Will Inspire the Leader in You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Over the years, women have been slowly climbing the world of corporate leadership. Now, over hundreds of women hold leadership positions in some of the major companies in the world. What was once a male-dominated industry is now opening up to female entrepreneurs who have become influential in various aspects of our society – from fashion and beauty to medicine and technology. 

Being an aspiring entrepreneur, myself, these ladies – who have built their successful brands and companies from the ground up – have and continue to inspire me both as a student and as a person. Here’s to leading working women making history! Meet a few of the female corporate leaders of today below.

Arianna Huffington

CEO & Founder of Thrive Global. Founder of Huffington Post

Thrive Global is Huffington’s new company: it is a corporate and consumer well­being and productivity platform that will provide seminars, training, and further support based on the latest scientific findings from experts in the fields of neuroscience, psychology, productivity, sports, and sleep. Before Thrive Global, Huffington launched the American online news aggregator and blog, Huffington Post, in 2005.

Melody McCloskey

CEO & Founder of StyleSeat 

The online and mobile platform is the largest and fastest growing marketplace in the $78b beauty and wellness industry. It helps users discover and book services with the top beauty and wellness professionals in their area. 

Julia Hartz

Co-founder & President of Eventbrite

The world’s largest self-service platform for live experiences was founded in 2006 and has generated billions in gross ticket sales, processing over 2 million tickets per week in 180 countries.

Katherine Power

Co-founder & CEO of CMG

The media and technology company behind Who What Wear, MyDomaine, and Byrdie, which feature shoppable fashion, beauty, and lifestyle content for Millennial and Gen Z females.

Juie Carlson

Founder and Editor-in-chief of Remodelista

The interior design and home remodeling website Remodelista.com was founded/ first originally published in 2013.

Sophia Amoruso

Founder of Nasty Gal, New York Times Bestselling Author of #GIRLBOSS

Amoruso began selling vintage clothing on Ebay until her following and customer audience grew to a point where she was able to launch her own site. Since 2006, Nasty Gal has been one of the most popular American fashion retailers for young women. Amoruso later published her first book, #GIRLBOSS, in 2014. 

Elizabeth Holmes

CEO & Founder of Theranos

Based in Palo Alto, California, the American privately held health-technology and medical laboratory services company was founded in 2003.

Pamela is a sophomore at the University of Rochester in New York. Although she plans to pursue a major in business, she still possess a passion for writing, whether creative or journalistic. During her free time, she enjoys dancing along with watching Friends or Once Upon a Time while relaxing in bed. Shopping and eating are definitely on her list of favorite activities as well.