Fall Sports Mid-Season Report

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Believe it or not, we are well into fall and winter sports have begun!  But before we get knee deep into basketball, swimming, squash, and winter track, how are our fall sports doing as they approach the second half of their seasons?

·      Football is 3-2, heading to RPI this weekend to take on the Engineers.  They recently defeated Alfred State, 38-13 in front of a Meliora Weekend crowd.

·      Men’s soccer is 9-1-1, ranked #18 in the country.  They are in the Midwest this weekend for a double-UAA weekend against University of Chicago and Washington University (Mo).  Last weekend, the Yellowjackets came from behind to beat #12 Brandeis, 3-2, to take first place in the UAA.

·      Women’s soccer is 5-3-3, receiving votes in the national polls last week.  They are also in the Midwest this weekend.  The team is undefeated in the UAA with two ties, and facing some tough, nationally ranked powerhouses in the upcoming weeks.

·      Field hockey is ranked #14 in the country with a 13-2 record.  Last weekend, the team defeated #4 William Smith, 3-1, for only the second time in 30 games.  The Yellowjackets have momentum heading into their last four regular season games before the Liberty League Championships.

·      Women’s volleyball is 8-18 as they head into a UAA round robin hosted by Washington University (Mo.) this weekend.  How they do this weekend will determine placement in the UAA Finals, held at Brandeis on November 8th & 9th.

·      Men’s cross country has enjoyed success thus far, placing first in the Yellowjacket Invitational and second in the SUNY Geneseo Invitational.  They will participate in the NYSCTC Championships and the UAA Championships at the end of October and beginning of November, respectively.

·      Women’s cross country has also been successful, placing second at the Yellowjacket Invitational and third at the Geneseo Invitational.  They will also participate in the NYSCTC Championships and UAA Championships later this season.